A questioning mind

If it's a private sale, then it's up to the buyer to do a search to find out
More a case of why do the local authority allow planning permission on land prone to flooding

Because, money?

Our local civic benefactor is currently building a massive new housing estate on the beach. There were some entertaining pictures the other day showing the deep water lying on the site (and really we haven't had that much rain - most of our "flooding" has come from the sea). It's not a popular development so people are taking the opportunity to mock. They looked amusing until somebody pointed out that it's right where the council has awarded planning permission for an underground car park.

This is going to be all kinds of fun.

Nope. Pretty much all policies cover "acts of god" these days. Fully comp ones, obvs. If you only have third party then you are literally on your own ;)

Mate of mine was fully comp and had a tree come down on his car, and was told that it wasn't covered. I must admit, I would expect my FC policy to cover things such as weather events.

Mate of mine was fully comp and had a tree come down on his car, and was told that it wasn't covered. I must admit, I would expect my FC policy to cover things such as weather events.

That's really very unusual.

https://www.blackfriarsgroup.com/do-insurance-policies-cover-acts-of-god/

We have an insurance firm here in Folkestone that had a tree in its staff carpark fall on 3 cars. Local wisdom from the insurance people is that the drivers' policies will cover them. The insurance firm that owns the tree are pretty confident it's nothing to do with them :) What your car policy won't (usually) cover is the cost of removing the tree.

Because, money?

Yes I do realise that, but they should also be made responsible when things go wrong.
Local knowledge should make them aware of the likelihood of flooding, at least by the parish
councilor if they are actually doing their job

I used to work in insurance and you'd be surprised at what wasn't covered and probably it's similar these days of ever cheaper
quotes being offered :(
I never go on those comparison sites, you may get a cheap, but until you make a claim, you never know what they will pay
for.

I never go on those comparison sites, you may get a cheap, but until you make a claim, you never know what they will pay
for.

If you used to work in insurance then you'll know to read the policy, right? 30 days to cancel.

Hotel near where I live is built on stilts right next to a river, its actually on the flood plain.
The car park floods every time the river gets high yet most years cars get submerged there

If you used to work in insurance then you'll know to read the policy, right? 30 days to cancel.

I do, but it's a bit late for those that don't when they try to claim !

I do, but it's a bit late for those that don't when they try to claim !

This is why all the insurance bashing threads annoy me. People choose a company, they pay the price, they get an exact list of what that price covers and then a cooling off period to decide whether those terms are acceptable.

Then when they claim, if they feel the terms have been applied unfairly they get to appeal to an independent ombudsman who tends to side with consumers over companies.

And people still say "insurers try to wriggle out of paying claims".

This is why all the insurance bashing threads annoy me. People choose a company, they pay the price, they get an exact list of what that price covers and then a cooling off period to decide whether those terms are acceptable.

Then when they claim, if they feel the terms have been applied unfairly they get to appeal to an independent ombudsman who tends to side with consumers over companies.

And people still say "insurers try to wriggle out of paying claims".

Because people don't even think about it, we see on here all the time

"My insurance went up this year and I saved loads of money on a comparison site".

That is what is important to some people, how cheaply they can get what they want, be it insurance, electricity/gas,
broadband etc, then when things go wrong or it doesn't live up to expectations they moan

Because people don't even think about it, we see on here all the time

"My insurance went up this year and I saved loads of money on a comparison site".

That is what is important to some people, how cheaply they can get what they want, be it insurance, electricity/gas,
broadband etc, then when things go wrong or it doesn't live up to expectations they moan
I’ve just been through this. Comparison sites get a huge percentage on recommendations and the companies often build that into their direct quotes. If possible it’s best to go with companies that aren’t on the comparison sites.

That is what is important to some people... ....then when things go wrong or it doesn't live up to expectations they moan
and why not? We have a tendency in this country to protect the guilty. We have numerous acts of parliament which claim to protect the consumer but they are all born with their teeth extracted. From the Sale of Goods Act to the Trades Description Act they all suffer from leaving enforcement to the customer who is seldom knowledgeable or wealthy enough to go through the process of enforcing their rights.

Back