A quick Astro 12 from 2018

jfb

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I think this is the 11th year I have done a monthly astro shoot - I must admit it's never easy as some months are dire & the weather gods conspire to spoil the views while other months could easily fill all 12 shots...
Anyway, here you go...

Q1-18.jpg

· January – Super Moon over Hay Tor. I had been after one of these for a couple of years, the trick is to try to balance the moonlight with the natural light on the landscape.

· February – A selfie taken on the Lizard looking out at the Milky Way on the horizon

· March – An 8mm shot, hence the round image. This was an opportunistic shoot after a day in Bristol. A very bright moon gave too much light, but it was great to add detail to the Ashton Windmill, at Chapel Allerton on the Somerset levels.

Q2-18.jpg

· April – a shot at Orcombe Point, Exmouth. The Geoneedle marks the start/end of the Jurassic Coast. The Core of the Milky Way was sat on the horizon to the South, the Lyrid Meteors were putting on a grand display - a composite of several exposures taken at the spot.

· May – One of my favourite locations, Burgh Island at Bigbury-on-Sea, this is a panorama made up from 5 x shots to give the spread across the island.

· June – another favourite location Booby’s Bay at Trevose Head, North Cornwall. This was taken just after sunset and showed a couple of satellite glints flashing in the sky. Another vertical panorama of 3 x shots.

Q3-18.jpg

· July – I had a wonderful time in Pembrokeshire with Paul McLoughlin. We had stunning weather, every night was clear and we were totally spoilt. This was one of the best of the week, Church Rock at Broadhaven.

· August – This was an opportunistic shoot, we were trying for the sea cave at Redrock, Dawlish, but the tide was coming in, so we tried getting the Penzance – London main line in an astro shot. Again, a panorama to get the sea view towards Berry Head, in the distance.

· September – This was a shot I have been wanting to do for many years the old cross at Windy Post, Dartmoor. This was taken after a grand evening at the Firework Championship at Plymouth. The weather kept changing, the site is 15/20 mins into the moor from the road and standing in the rain was truly miserable. Thankfully the clouds cleared and I was able to get the icon shot of the small waterfall, cross and the milky way, the passing Perseid Meteor was a real bonus.

Q4-18.jpg

· October – A trip back up to Hayne Down to get the iconic Bowerman’s Nose. The trick is to try to get the orientation with the rock stack and the milky way – thankfully this still shows the classic shape of the stack – this again was a panorama made from 6 shots, stitched together.

· November – Our annual trip to Cyprus, this time we went for 2 weeks. I was able to get out a couple of times, this is the classic Petra tou Romiou or Aphrodites Rock. While there was a bright moon, it was glorious to see this location with Orion in the sky

· December – This was a shoot at St Lawrence Castle, also known as the Haldon Belvedere. I was keen to get Comet P46/Wirtanen with a more iconic backdrop. Unfortunately, the comet is now quite high in the sky. This is a 15mm shot showing the tower, comet, milky way and a nice view of the Pleiades and Andromeda.

HNY and wishing all on here clear & interesting skies for 2019 :)

well done you have some real nice one's from your late night excursions
I must admit they are far easier in the winter, just a shame that the main action happens at silly o'clock in the summer :)

HNY to you too, John and thanks for sharing these again.

Reactions: jfb
I really like these! Especially the shot over Burgh Island.

HNY to you too, John and thanks for sharing these again.
Hi Nod, good to see you are still active :) I am sure our paths will cross at some stage...

A good year from end to end!! Well done for getting out and catching something every month! You have some great variety in there.
Many thanks, it's good to try to set challenges, but it does get harder as the years roll on...

I really like these! Especially the shot over Burgh Island.
I have had a lot of success with Burgh Island over the years. It's always a pain to get to and you need to be there after 1:00 am for them to turn most of the security lights off. This was done back in May when the view of the core was spectacular, rising to the South East then moving across the horizon and eventually getting lost in the light pollution over Plymouth. I submit my shots to the papers & did very well, my friend submitted his to the hotel and ended up with a free nights accommodation...

Back