A rather wet and wild Scale Haw Force

Name
Si
Edit My Images
Yes
Managed to get away for an overnight stay at the weekend without the kids, which provided some respite after a pretty rough week last week. It was rather wet and wild, but managed to persuade the missus to come with me to find a waterfall to photograph. Not somewhere we could have got to with the kids in tow - a bit of a scramble down the bank and then upstream through the riverbed and past a few fallen trees. Spent more time cleaning water drops off the lens and filters than anything else once we'd got into position, but this is what I came away with...

Scale Haw Force on a wild and wet Summer's day by Simon Lundbeck, on Flickr

On a more serious note you have some seriously blurred folliage along with the blurred water. The movement in the tree's kills it for me - even with the tart in the frame.

There is Steve and I knew you'd thoroughly disapprove! :) TBH, I rarely get out to shoot landscapes due to other commitments and have to take whatever the weather throws at me (sometimes literally). I'm not necessarily looking for technical perfection, but to try and capture the mood of the place whilst I'm there, which I think I've done. It certainly pleases me, but each to their own as always...

P.S. - I doubt most would notice the blurring of the foliage with Les's addition in the frame! ;)

Last edited:
*mod edited* comment no longer current.
blurry foliage near blurry water seems fine to me. Even on a still day, the air near a waterfall is often moved by the rush of water, and so foliage in motion looks right (to me), part of the atmosphere and character of the place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently so Les!! :LOL:

Sorry fella - I have removed the image owing to the derogatory comments above - the girl I put in that image is in fact my niece and as far from a TART as is possible

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
*mod edited* comment no longer current.
blurry foliage near blurry water seems fine to me. Even on a still day, the air near a waterfall is often moved by the rush of water, and so foliage in motion looks right (to me), part of the atmosphere and character of the place.

Thanks John, everyone has their own take and you can't please all of the people all of the time! :)

Sorry fella - I have removed the image owing to the derogatory comments above - the girl I put in that image is in fact my niece

Les

Perfectly understandable Les, don't worry about it... shame what started out as a bit of light-hearted fun ended on such a sour note

Perfectly understandable Les, don't worry about it... shame what started out as a bit of light-hearted fun ended on such a sour note

Yes it is Si- All forums have a village Idiot or 2 :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Love the image. Well done. Shame about the wind moving the trees on the top left. So annoying when that happens. You should be well chuffed with this.

Thanks Tim :) and it's not perfect, but I dont think it detracts from the overall image too badly - I'm certainly not getting too hung up about it!

Thanks Tim :) and it's not perfect, but I dont think it detracts from the overall image too badly - I'm certainly not getting too hung up about it!

I suppose you could have burned the tress in a bit to darken that corner, but to paraphrase Col. Willard in 'Apocalypse Now' criticising moving trees in a photograph that is all about movement is like 'handing out speeding tickets at the Indy 500'. Nice photo and well worth the effort.

Back