A recent portrait

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

For the folks who don't venture into the F&C section, I thought I would post this here for some feedback. I think I am finding my feet a little better with my personal work. I am still deciding which images to use from this shoot (will only be a small handful), but from the few we shot, I actually quite liked this one (which for me doesn't happen often)!

Hey Gareth, I will spot a few things that require some attention:
• The eye make up is too heavy, dark, and hard for the beautiful tonal palette in this take
• As the story telling goes, I cannot justify the weed over her arm, camera left
• the pose is not coherent with the head movement. Like she was standing and was told to
move her head (good idea well executed) but the body seems static and not following or
engaging the head movement.

As you can see, the previous points are model and model direction related. You photographic
and artistic efforts also have their points, but good ones:
• The colour palette is well chosen for that scene and the subject
• which is properly supported by the soft look you convey through the take of gentleness
and romantisme
• DoF is tasteful

Keep it going!

Lovely portrait.

Thank you, Ryan.

Hey Gareth, I will spot a few things that require some attention:
• The eye make up is too heavy, dark, and hard for the beautiful tonal palette in this take
• As the story telling goes, I cannot justify the weed over her arm, camera left
• the pose is not coherent with the head movement. Like she was standing and was told to
move her head (good idea well executed) but the body seems static and not following or
engaging the head movement.

As you can see, the previous points are model and model direction related. You photographic
and artistic efforts also have their points, but good ones:
• The colour palette is well chosen for that scene and the subject
• which is properly supported by the soft look you convey through the take of gentleness
and romantisme
• DoF is tasteful

Keep it going!

Thanks for taking the time for your thoughts. With regards to the pose, she was actually sat in the grass, as opposed to standing. There are a few more where this is more obvious. :)

Well fwiw I like the pose, looks relaxed. I also don't have any issue with the eye makeup either ;) Lovely portrait well executed, lovely tones and gentle soft/subtle lighting too. Guessing from your opening comment this was shot on fillum?

A really, nice, dreamy portrait shot Gareth. I like the colours, the pose and the depth of field.

Well fwiw I like the pose, looks relaxed. I also don't have any issue with the eye makeup either ;) Lovely portrait well executed, lovely tones and gentle soft/subtle lighting too. Guessing from your opening comment this was shot on fillum?

Thank you, Paul. I didn't have any issues with any of them either but I do appreciate other peoples thoughts. :) Yes, this is shot on Portra 400.

A really, nice, dreamy portrait shot Gareth. I like the colours, the pose and the depth of field.

Thank you, Andy.

Up to your usual standard as always. DOF is gorgeous.

Thanks very much, David. I think I am finally finding my way with portraits but obviously always looking to improve. The DOF is a combination of shooting medium format and 85mm at F2.0. Don't think the lens has another aperture setting. may as well glue it F2.0! Ha.

I know that feeling. It looks to be working well for you and i love the fact that you're mixing film with digital for your wedding stuff. You seem to have the mix off to a tee. And the PP of your digital fits in well against the rendering of the film.

It's a nice approach to take.

I know that feeling. It looks to be working well for you and i love the fact that you're mixing film with digital for your wedding stuff. You seem to have the mix off to a tee. And the PP of your digital fits in well against the rendering of the film.

It's a nice approach to take.

How are you finding the Df's btw?

Thanks.

Thanks again, David. I have only managed a roll at each of the last couple of weddings. One is away for processing at the moment. I appreciate the kind words though. Hopefully, one day, I will shoot an entire wedding on film. :) It does render beautifully that's for sure.

I love shooting with the Df's. They are very capable cameras and the image quality is beautiful. Of course all the online reports about the Af not being as good as it could be get banded around, but when you are used to working with it, it isn't that bad as people make out.

Beautiful work, Gareth. :)

Thank you, Dean. :)

So the low light AF issues is a bit of an internet sensation? I thought it would be tbh. Having used a D7000 for boxing in some pretty dim arena's i never struggled with it at all tbh. The lens makes a massive difference too. Really fancying a Df but concerned that it would be a backward step from the 750.

So the low light AF issues is a bit of an internet sensation? I thought it would be tbh. Having used a D7000 for boxing in some pretty dim arena's i never struggled with it at all tbh. The lens makes a massive difference too. Really fancying a Df but concerned that it would be a backward step from the 750.

From what I hear, the D750 is a lot better with regards to AF, especially in low light. However, similar to @dancook I have really given up on being gear obsessed. The conversations about what is better at focussing on a black cat in a coal mine, or how much better life would be if a camera shot at 1,000,000 ISO bore me to tears. I use what works for me and work on learning to use it better. Photographs are about the light, the moment and the connection, not about the gear used to make them. Of course someone will always argue that you need x to shoot y, and whilst that is true in some cases, what is also true is that weddings now are no darker than they were many years ago. When I absolutely start to miss moments because the AF just won't cut it, then I will think about swapping. :)

Wow, that's just a stunning image.
Beautifully relaxed, perfect DoF focuses the subject; pose and context are really nice.
Overall, I have no qualms with this at all

Yes I love this and only hope I can get even a bit close to this with my new (to me) RZ , I commented on this on facebook BTW

Wow, that's just a stunning image.
Beautifully relaxed, perfect DoF focuses the subject; pose and context are really nice.
Overall, I have no qualms with this at all

Thank you, Paul. Appreciate the comments. :)

Yes I love this and only hope I can get even a bit close to this with my new (to me) RZ , I commented on this on facebook BTW

Thanks Stu, although I see you are now selling the RZ. :(

Yes , Im afraid something has come up, Im gutted as the kit is totally mint and I dont think I could ever get the likes again in that condition again, Ive a few fuji things up also so if it goes 1st I just might be able to keep the RZ

Very nice,i should get my 1V out of moth balls and have a play its only had 20 rolls ah well time and tide, as they say

Yes , Im afraid something has come up, Im gutted as the kit is totally mint and I dont think I could ever get the likes again in that condition again, Ive a few fuji things up also so if it goes 1st I just might be able to keep the RZ

Oh no! Shame that. Hope you manage to hold on to it.

Very nice,i should get my 1V out of moth balls and have a play its only had 20 rolls ah well time and tide, as they say

Thank you. :) You definitely should, seems like such a waste.

For the folks who don't venture into the F&C section, I thought I would post this here for some feedback. I think I am finding my feet a little better with my personal work. I am still deciding which images to use from this shoot (will only be a small handful), but from the few we shot, I actually quite liked this one (which for me doesn't happen often)!

beautiful mate.

What was it shot with. I keep trying to use my yashica 120g at wedding but thus far have failed. Was looking for a decent / cheap med format film camera.

Portra 400 is perfect for this, and the colours are beautiful, soft and creamy.

would love to see some more

beautiful mate.

What was it shot with. I keep trying to use my yashica 120g at wedding but thus far have failed. Was looking for a decent / cheap med format film camera.

Portra 400 is perfect for this, and the colours are beautiful, soft and creamy.

would love to see some more

Thank you, Greg. :)

There are many more from the shoot. I'll probably put a blog post together soon for them.

This was shot with Contax 645 + Zeiss 80mm F2.0, so whilst it fits your criteria of 'decent', it's definitely not cheap. [emoji21]

Thank you, Greg. :)

There are many more from the shoot. I'll probably put a blog post together soon for them.

This was shot with Contax 645 + Zeiss 80mm F2.0, so whilst it fits your criteria of 'decent', it's definitely not cheap. [emoji21]

ahh, I keep coming back to a that combo...... Nearly pulled the trigger on one a while back.

will keep an eye out for the blog post. I really want to get into the film side too...but would like something a little more mobile for personal / family life.

do you use any other film cameras. Anything you recommend?

Last edited:
Lovely shot. I'd be very pleased indeed to make something like this. It has great engagement, a nice sense of movement with fine use of the available light. The in-focus stem is a minor irritation; the eye makeup is hardly a problem.

The framing is a bit curious; I think it's because of the asymmetry of her pose (which I like very much, btw, it's what makes this photo different)... My gut reaction would be to crop it so there's a diagonal line from the bottom left corner, through her shoulder and centre of her brow to the top right corner but that's easy for me to say 'cos I rarely shoot film.

Was this a (semi-)pro model?

Lovely shot. I'd be very pleased indeed to make something like this. It has great engagement, a nice sense of movement with fine use of the available light. The in-focus stem is a minor irritation; the eye makeup is hardly a problem.

The framing is a bit curious; I think it's because of the asymmetry of her pose (which I like very much, btw, it's what makes this photo different)... My gut reaction would be to crop it so there's a diagonal line from the bottom left corner, through her shoulder and centre of her brow to the top right corner but that's easy for me to say 'cos I rarely shoot film.

Was this a (semi-)pro model?

Thanks, Simon. She was a model I hired, yes. I find it hard to find the right models for what I want to create, but she was absolutely perfect. Just wish I could find more similar!

Great bit of work Gareth, good use of DOF, lovely soft lighting, and the type of pose that suits the scene.(y)

George.

You da man, Gareth. You da man... your style stands out a mile and you've certainly perfected it.:)

Great bit of work Gareth, good use of DOF, lovely soft lighting, and the type of pose that suits the scene.(y)

George.

Thank you, George. :)

You da man, Gareth. You da man... your style stands out a mile and you've certainly perfected it.:)

Awww Bethy, you're too kind! I appreciate the words.

There are a few more from the shoot that I may share soon.

It's all been said above Gareth, so I shall only echo that it's a lovely portrait, I do enjoy the central frame composition.
It puts your lovely model centre stage so to speak. The tilt of her head brings a certain dynamic to the portrait.
I particularly like the colour tones throughout the photograph, very complimentary to her red hair. Great work!

ETA, I shall look out for your blog post too.

It's all been said above Gareth, so I shall only echo that it's a lovely portrait, I do enjoy the central frame composition.
It puts your lovely model centre stage so to speak. The tilt of her head brings a certain dynamic to the portrait.
I particularly like the colour tones throughout the photograph, very complimentary to her red hair. Great work!

ETA, I shall look out for your blog post too.

Thank you very much. [emoji4] I tried to put a little blog post together yesterday but my writing leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe I'll just blog half a dozen images.

... what is also true is that weddings now are no darker than they were many years ago.

True. But back then, the expectation was that if there wasn't much light around, the wedding snapper would start firing off a girt big Metz. And besides, the subjects would usually be stationary.

BTW, that's a very cool photograph Gareth.

I really like this portrait.

Thank you Nick

True. But back then, the expectation was that if there wasn't much light around, the wedding snapper would start firing off a girt big Metz. And besides, the subjects would usually be stationary.

BTW, that's a very cool photograph Gareth.

Thanks you Dan.

Re, the weddings thing....I wasn't meaning weddings from that far back. I am talking recent years, where technology and the camera companies advance and market to make money on incremental upgrades that, at the moment, I don't feel I need.

If anyone is interested in a few more from this set, there is a short blog post with half a dozen images HERE

Not really looking for C&C on the blog post but a few folk mentioned they would like to see it. There are quite a number more images from this shoot including a roll of Ektar 100 but I do feel that adding too many would dilute the set as a whole. :)

#4 in that blog post is a superb portrait.

#4 in that blog post is a superb portrait.

I also agree.

I'd be tempted to convert that to a mono image too, although I love the colour!

Thank you chaps. :) The positive person in me is trying to not read this as, "number 4 is good, rest are awful" :LOL:

But I appreciate the comments. :)

@Sir SR , reluctant to convert as it would kind of negate the choice of film. I do have a roll of 35mm B&W still in the camera that needs finishing. There may be one or two on there. :)

Thank you chaps. :) The positive person in me is trying to not read this as, "number 4 is good, rest are awful" :LOL:

But I appreciate the comments. :)

@Sir SR , reluctant to convert as it would kind of negate the choice of film. I do have a roll of 35mm B&W still in the camera that needs finishing. There may be one or two on there. :)

Leave that negative person in you at home. They're all good.

I appreciate the choice of filllum but I suppose I was just looking at the image (regardless of format) and thought it would make for a good mono conversion!

Look forward to seeing the b&w roll!

Back