A sense of scale - Snowdonia

Edit My Images
No
Hello folks, long time no post!

I effectively took the summer off from photography as the season doesn't inspire me and has always left me frustrated.

This year after putting the camera away for a few months I feel that my mojo has returned and my enthusiasm for taking photographs is as it was now that we've had Autumn and head into Winter.

Here's one of my last images, taken a few days ago, on the Snowdon Massif where I will spending a lot of time in the next year or so working on my next book. I enjoyed some unusual conditions and this was a case of right place, right time!

As always, thanks for looking :)

Dave Dear on the West Peak of Y Lliwedd - Snowdonia - Wales by Nicholas Livesey, on Flickr

Last edited:
Excellent (whether to have a figure in such a landscape is very personal - you seem to like them). Although I like a lot of sky in mountain pics, I'd be tempted to try shaving just a little off the top to lift Snowdon up a bit. Love the way the mist picks out Bwlch y Saethau,

Excellent (whether to have a figure in such a landscape is very personal - you seem to like them).

The figure on this occasion wouldn't take much work to remove but when I'm on Lliwedd it's all about capturing the scale and the only way to do that is to have a mate stand on one or other of the two peaks. Also, I include them a lot because I regularly supply the outdoor magazines with images and editors don't want 'clean' landscapes.

As you say, I do like them, but that is because I don't class myself as a landscape photographer in the usual sense, I am specifically a mountain photographer and the experience of being in and interacting with the mountain environment greatly interests me and is something I've come back to in recent years

Great shot Nick. I love the choice of a person in the shot, just to give it a sense of scale.

Some shots are improved by including a figure and IMO, this is one of them.

Back