Beginner A small colourful fly of some description.

Wooooahhhh!!! …brilliant iridescence! (y)(y)(y)

Hi,
I would say this is what it is. Lovely colours on this shot.
Dolichopodidae - Longlegged Flies

Nice shot will
How are you finding your set up. I have both the lens and camera mentioned but prefer my E-M1 and 4/3 sigma 105 f2.8

Last edited:
Nicely done. They are lovely little flies. Looks like this one is blowing a bubble too.

Hi,
I would say this is what it is. Lovely colours on this shot.
Dolichopodidae - Longlegged Flies

Thanks. I came across it on a dive boat in Raja Ampat, West Papua.

OK,,,i'll stop looking then :)

I wouldn't. I don't know about this exact species (whatever it is), but there are plenty of Dolichopodidae in the UK.

Nice shot will
How are you finding your set up. I have both the lens and camera mentioned but prefer my E-M1 and 4/3 sigma 105 f2.8

Hi, it's ok. I get some nice shots out of it. Still getting used to it though and have much to learn of its capacity I guess.

I bought it and a housing with travelling and diving in mind.
Last time I was away I travelled with a canon 5dii lenses and a g12 with housing. It was a bit much to be lugging around with other luggage so consolidated down to the omd. Kept the 5dii which I love and miss.

Main bugbear on the omd with 60mm is the travel on manual focus. When you are diving you need to be fast and responsive. It does have the option to auto focus and fine tune manually but perhaps I've yet to get the hang of that properly just yet. Auto focus it is mostly but that can be really frustrating at times when it doesn't do what you want and while it's dilly dallying about your subject has long since skitted off.

Nicely done. They are lovely little flies. Looks like this one is blowing a bubble too.

I wouldn't. I don't know about this exact species (whatever it is), but there are plenty of Dolichopodidae in the UK.

Thanks. Yeah I agree. They are found worldwide. But don't let that deter you from aforementioned excuse for a holiday. Ha know it makes sense ;)

Hi, it's ok. I get some nice shots out of it. Still getting used to it though and have much to learn of its capacity I guess.

I bought it and a housing with travelling and diving in mind.
Last time I was away I travelled with a canon 5dii lenses and a g12 with housing. It was a bit much to be lugging around with other luggage so consolidated down to the omd. Kept the 5dii which I love and miss.

Main bugbear on the omd with 60mm is the travel on manual focus. When you are diving you need to be fast and responsive. It does have the option to auto focus and fine tune manually but perhaps I've yet to get the hang of that properly just yet. Auto focus it is mostly but that can be really frustrating at times when it doesn't do what you want and while it's dilly dallying about your subject has long since skitted off.

The MF on the 60mm f2.8 is dire IMO and somone at Olympus needs a slap for it.
You need to assign the AE-Lock button to focus and then rock to refine focus I feel you pain though.

The MF on the 60mm f2.8 is dire IMO and somone at Olympus needs a slap for it.
You need to assign the AE-Lock button to focus and then rock to refine focus I feel you pain though.

Definitely. Thanks for that, I'll give that a go. Not sure If it'll be a benefit or not with the constant movent from the swell, current and buoyancy but perhaps so. I'll let you know how i get on when I next get underwater. Cheers.

Definitely. Thanks for that, I'll give that a go. Not sure If it'll be a benefit or not with the constant movent from the swell, current and buoyancy but perhaps so. I'll let you know how i get on when I next get underwater. Cheers.
I would have thought a wider lens would be better underwater.

I would have thought a wider lens would be better underwater.

Depends on what you wish to capture i guess. For sure wide angle is great underwater, given the right conditions, ie. visibility, light, topography, features and inhabitants of chosen dive site.
I will eventually invest in a wide angle lens and port for the housing. Just a matter of cost really. At the moment i'm just focussing on macro and some fish portraits with the 60mm. And flies when they present themselves. ;)

Super shot Will, we do have similar looking flies here so no need to travel..(sorry Kodiak) just look where there is a pond and you will find Poecilobothrus
nobilitatus, its quite interesting to watch them signalling each other and hence their common name as the Semaphore fly.

Back