A small presentation of my experimenting with Topaz DeNoise AI in yesterdays poor light.

I tried the trial version of DxO Deep Prime, looked a bit too artificial for me
Not tried Topaz yet, must say the results here look very good though
Find I get good results from an updated version of another old favourite Noise Ninja.

Last edited:
I also have the "old" Nik software but when I began experimenting with Topaz on my Mac the Nik software had been crippled by Apple on the Big Sur OS "upgrade". It works on my Win10 PC but it hadn't occurred to me to compare Topaz with Nik, I'll have a go sometime.

One of the reasons I've stayed with Mojave.

I don't see what is the advantage of using a plugin in LR?
Anyway, it makes you export a TIFF, then denoise the TIFF to reimport it, then export a JPG.

It's not really a plugin it's just an automated export/import routine?

I have recently done a demo on Topaz sharpening and denoise, and also a quick comparison with Photolab for my camera club. The Topaz results can be amazing, but sometimes they don't work quite so well. I should mention that my licence has now run out, so these were not with the latest Topaz versions which may be better again. As I now have Photolab 4 I'm really happy with the deep prime noise reduction. You can also choose their original Prime, or HD. It can take a long time to export the images with Deep Prime, as it does with Topaz on my ageing computer.

Squirrel ISO 5000 - on the left Photolab 4. Deep Prime has been used with the default optic module - no other processing. On the right, Topaz Denoise used first and then Topaz Sharpen. You can see it is sharper, but I prefer the image on the left. Perhaps a later version of Topaz be better?

Screenshot 2021-02-02 at 15.34.36.jpg

In my experience Topaz Sharpen can rescue some shots which I would normally bin. I'd only bother if it was a special subject and I'd missed my once in a life chance. I think it works better on animals than on surfers. Below is a windsurfer shot showing before and after - I would still bin this one actually, but you can see what an amazing job it does. This is 100% crop, and zoomed out a bit, it is acceptably sharp to me.

Screenshot 2021-02-03 at 11.04.44.jpg

I don't see what is the advantage of using a plugin in LR?
Anyway, it makes you export a TIFF, then denoise the TIFF to reimport it, then export a JPG.

It's not really a plugin it's just an automated export/import routine?

I've unfortunately re- discovered the problem i had earlier with Denoise AI.

When I ask Topaz to return the denoised file to its original location, it goes to the catalogue folder , rather than back into Lightroom. The unprocessed tif is still in LR which makes denoise appear not to have worked. I've had to go into the catalogue folder to find the denoised file and then re-import that into LR.

That is why I am /you are getting odd file names eg IMG-XXXX. denoise.denoise.tif.

That's a real pain and I'm sure its not meant to work like that. Will have to look into it. Topaz support was pretty good when i tried it before.

I've unfortunately re- discovered the problem i had earlier with Denoise AI.

When I ask Topaz to return the denoised file to its original location, it goes to the catalogue folder , rather than back into Lightroom. The unprocessed tif is still in LR which makes denoise appear not to have worked. I've had to go into the catalogue folder to find the denoised file and then re-import that into LR.

That is why I am /you are getting odd file names eg IMG-XXXX. denoise.denoise.tif.

That's a real pain and I'm sure its not meant to work like that. Will have to look into it. Topaz support was pretty good when i tried it before.
Ahh I've occasionally had it disappear after processing and wondered what happened! Do you have to sync the catalog folder in Lightroom to find it? I'm sure I've had them disappear from Photolab too - maybe it sends it back to my old Lightroom catalog.

Ahh I've occasionally had it disappear after processing and wondered what happened! Do you have to sync the catalog folder in Lightroom to find it? I'm sure I've had them disappear from Photolab too - maybe it sends it back to my old Lightroom catalog.

I hadn't thought of trying to do that. maybe next time! I've contacted Topaz support. I read that if Denoise offers you a choice of where you want the file to be saved to, it's not working properly as a plugin.

I hadn't thought of trying to do that. maybe next time! I've contacted Topaz support. I read that if Denoise offers you a choice of where you want the file to be saved to, it's not working properly as a plugin.
I've moved away from Lightroom now although I still dip into my catalogs and I find syncing the folder quicker than going through the import dialogue. I guess a search for the filename might be worthwhile but I'd always assumed it hadn't saved it, so I've probably got duplicates all over the place.

Back