Critique A Still Morning

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning All,

Below is a photograph that I took this morning of Llangorse Lake. I was hoping for a colourful sunrise and some mist but this never happened; overcast, grey skies and drizzle was the order of the day. In an attempt to make something out of the situation I opted for a black and white approach and aimed for something to reflect my mood at the time, something calming. I don't tend to process my photo's in black and white very much so I'd really appreciate some feedback on my processing technique amongst other things.

Still Morning
by James

Thanks all,
James

This works a treat mate. I'd like a little more of the boats reflection in the shot but beggars can't be choosers, i stayed in bed!

Thanks, David. When I arrived at the lake I was beginning to wish I'd stayed in bed; I'm glad I made the effort now!

James

I see correctly expressed DR and TR and that is clue
to proper WB prior to conversion.

Technically, I see only good decision making. For the
rest, it falls under artistic intent and this is your privilege.

Good take and cool rendition IMO.

whilst i like this shot it has a small problem, i'm sure your aware of leading lines. and the lines created by the handrail takes my eye straight to? as i said nice shot.

I see correctly expressed DR and TR and that is clue
to proper WB prior to conversion.

Technically, I see only good decision making. For the
rest, it falls under artistic intent and this is your privilege.

Good take and cool rendition IMO.

Thanks Kodiak, I really appreciate that.

whilst i like this shot it has a small problem, i'm sure your aware of leading lines. and the lines created by the handrail takes my eye straight to? as i said nice shot.

Yep, more than aware and I can totally see where your coming from. In my opinion the interest in the left hand side of the frame pulls the viewer that way and balances out the big blob of empty on the right. I'd attempted to balance the photograph by including elements at the front, middle and rear in the hope that they would lead the eye more than the hand rail does. However, I think (and am wiling to be corrected) that the empty space at the back pushes the viewer to the trees in the left hand side.

I appreciate your insight though.

James

Thanks Kodiak, I really appreciate that.

Yep, more than aware and I can totally see where your coming from. In my opinion the interest in the left hand side of the frame pulls the viewer that way and balances out the big blob of empty on the right. I'd attempted to balance the photograph by including elements at the front, middle and rear in the hope that they would lead the eye more than the hand rail does. However, I think (and am wiling to be corrected) that the empty space at the back pushes the viewer to the trees in the left hand side.

I appreciate your insight though.

James
the hand rail is overpowering the image as
1 its very big and
2 its very dark.

there is no need to get defensive its in the critique forum, so i critiqued what i saw. just trying to help.:)

the hand rail is overpowering the image as
1 its very big and
2 its very dark.

there is no need to get defensive its in the critique forum, so i critiqued what i saw. just trying to help.:)
Apologies if it read that way, it wasn't meant to :)

Would you suggest lightening it up? Do you feel it detracts heavily from the image?

:agree: May I suggest..............................

Apologies if it read that way, it wasn't meant to :)

Would you suggest lightening it up? Do you feel it detracts heavily from the image?
i would suggest a reshoot :( sorry i see what you were trying to do but as your own comment says you HOPE it worked but if i'm honest it did not i think you tried to get a low point of view on the boats (good idea) but this made the handrail look huge which as i said is overpowering . i had a look at it in lightroom and could not come up with a better edit so left it. hth mike. might i suggest next time take a lot of different angles of the same shot some work better than others and you leave yourself some room to try different edits

Last edited:
Fair comment, I'll give it another go the next time I'm up that way or if the weather looks like it's going to play ball.

I quite like the square crop too, that appears to work.

I'll give it a few days and revisit the photo, it may spark some other ideas.

James

For the rest, it falls under artistic intent and this is your privilege.

This demonstrates again the very high subjectivity
of visual communication.

Personally, such a shot would deserve to be worked
intensively… and maybe it was! All I know is what I
am offered to see and, as I see it, it is quite receivable.

Specially that the 2x3 frame, in my eye, is better balan-
ced though not perfect in composition.

I try to always leave some room as not everyone has the
same expectations nor experience.

Back