A stormy Shetland day

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
Dore Holm, 118 foot high, was quite a sight yesterday. Today there are Orcas passing by there - typical

Webcam of the cliffs below >> https://www.shetlandwebcams.com/eshaness-lighthouse/

Dore Hol, Shetland Islands by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Eshaness cliffs - around 150 feet high.

Eshaness, Shetland Islands by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Stormy Eshaness , Shetland Islands, Nov. 2020 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

This was 6 years ago.. the light of the lighthouse is 200 feet above sea level. I think I was caught by a similar blast of spray yesterday when I got back to the car!
Stormy Shetland Weather 2014 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Last edited:
Marvelous, every single one of them. Would love to shoot in those conditions.
Amazing the sea arch in the first survives those conditions, suspect it will survive for many centuries to come.
It was a bit like a salt water pressure wash. Hope the arch survives - it's a popular photo-stop

Amazing conditions - well done! And seriously.....were you tied on to something?

Just knelt in a hollow by the edge of the cliffs - didn't feel too safe standing up, as it was pretty violent. I was there a few years ago in 100mph gusts - didn't stay long, due to stones raining down:oops: :$

Great set full of power and action
Many thanks(y)

Yes, these are very nice, oodles of impact and incredible action. All pretty epic but the 3rd image really shows the drama and power.

You're brave!

Last edited:
Absolutely dynamic
I'm delighted to be able to sit in the warm today and view the result of your work!

I was considering going to Shetland next year and this has whetted my appetite to think a bit more about it. I use both Colour and B&W film, just what is the light like on Shetland? I am aiming to go around the middle of June, but nothing is set in stone yet.

I have seen seas like this at the mouth of the River Tyne when there was a strong north east wind and an incoming tide. The granite pier is around about 40-50 feet above the sea and the light house at the end perhaps a further 60-70 feet above that and I have seen the lighthouse disappear for a second or two under the storm force spray. The problem is the pier is about 800 yards long and in bad weather you cannot even get close it is too dangerous.

I have seen seas like this at the mouth of the River Tyne when there was a strong north east wind and an incoming tide. The granite pier is around about 40-50 feet above the sea and the light house at the end perhaps a further 60-70 feet above that and I have seen the lighthouse disappear for a second or two under the storm force spray. The problem is the pier is about 800 yards long and in bad weather you cannot even get close it is too dangerous.
A 200m mm lens gets you close enough. When I took this there were 3 guys at the lighthouse fishing. I kid you not. Plenty shots that didn't work because you couldn't see the lighthouse. I think the waves in the post here are another level to that though. They much be 250-300 foot high
Tynemouth Storm by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have seen it a lot worse than this The lighthouse appears a lot closer than it is due to the 200mm lens and the waves can go over the top. What is causing the main turbulence there is the amount of granite debris lying in the seabed as a breakwater for the sea. This granite debris comes from an earlier pier of a different design which was washed away around the turn of the 19th/20thc. About where the wave is breaking you can see the stump of the old pier where it turned slightly left and this was a weak point The actual point of the pier where the lighthouse stands is slightly taller and more robust to withstand the storms.

"Excellent" set of shots John, liking all of these very much.

Not my images I am afraid so cannot take credit for them

I was considering going to Shetland next year and this has whetted my appetite to think a bit more about it. I use both Colour and B&W film, just what is the light like on Shetland? I am aiming to go around the middle of June, but nothing is set in stone yet.

For most of mid June it's sunrise around 03:30 and sunset around 22:30, and the light then is often stunning. Also prone to a few foggy days on the east coast, but clear on the west, which can make for nice atmospheric shots. Thankfully there's usually enough of a breeze to keep the midgies away

Dore Holm, 118 foot high, was quite a sight yesterday. Today there are Orcas passing by there - typical

Webcam of the cliffs below >> https://www.shetlandwebcams.com/eshaness-lighthouse/

Dore Hol, Shetland Islands by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Eshaness cliffs - around 150 feet high.

Stormy Eshaness , Shetland Islands, Nov. 2020 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

This was 6 years ago.. the light of the lighthouse is 200 feet above sea level. I think I was caught by a similar blast of spray yesterday when I got back to the car!
Stormy Shetland Weather 2014 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr
This set is packed full of force. Well done!

Superb, love the monos. (y)

Back