A sunny Sunday at Newcastle Airport

Edit My Images
Yes
Well I decided to go and shoot some planes for the first time yesterday, since I live about 5 mins from the airport and it was great weather.

All shot with a Canon EOS400D and a 75-300mm f/3.5-5.6 USM

No postprocessing was done.

C&C most welcome!

Cheers

023.JPG

028.JPG

038.JPG

059.JPG

065.JPG

074.JPG

076.JPG

126.JPG

128.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice Chris, really makes you want to go somewhere doesn't it? Airports give me a real buzz. I'm another who tends not to do a lot of PP I'd sooner just try and compose a decent photo like I did with film cameras.

Very nice Chris, really makes you want to go somewhere doesn't it? Airports give me a real buzz. I'm another who tends not to do a lot of PP I'd sooner just try and compose a decent photo like I did with film cameras.

Thanks! Yeah it does, especially in this weather. I don't do too bad as far as going away goes...I have to fly quite alot for work and get to some decent places! I'm off on my hols next month though, can't wait.

were you terminal side, or towards the far end of the runway?

some good pics on there.

i saw most of them from the golf course this morning :D

I was down near Black Callerton on a public footpath, it's a good spot actually, first time I've been

I got the tip from here - http://www.adamrowden.co.uk/article-photography-at-newcastle.asp

Canon Bob said:
Does this lens actually exist ?.....or is it an f/4-5.6 ?

Bob

Yes sorry

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

I did have a go at a little post-processing, quite pleased with the results actually:

before:

035.JPG

and after a crop, sharpen and a little vibrance and saturation tweaking:

035crop.jpg

Last edited:
Much better edit mate, the unprocessed shots were a little flat.

Do the same processing to them all and you'll have a cracking set (y)

OK, I've had a play in photoshop, generally cropping, a sharpen, auto-curves and/or vibrance and saturation tweaking

Any feedback appreciated! They look totally transformed I think, I'm quite pleased with that considering thats the first lot of photos I've PP'd!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

Very nice Chris, I've flown the Jet2 737 G-CELZ a few times, but not from Newcastle...In fact, there are a few of us here on Talk who have been/are lucky enough to fly her.

Last edited:
WOW!

i didnt see the hurcules?!

was it doing a touch and go?

Ta! I just turned up as it was coming down! It was a mad dash to get the camera out and attach the lens! I'm not too sure if it was a touch and go, I didn't pay too much attention after it passed me as I was walking to the spot I wanted to go to so couldn't see much of the runway and beyond at that point

Very nice Chris, I've flown the Jet2 737 G-CELZ a few times, but not from Newcastle...In fact, there are a few of us here on Talk who have been/are lucky enough to fly her.

Thanks for that. When you say fly, do you actually mean fly? Must be nice :D

you lucky *******! lol. i really cant wait until the RAF AWAC is doing circuits again ;)

and thankyou for that link! always wondered how people get down the runway shots!! will be there tomorrow morning :D

how can you see down the runway from that position?

you lucky *******! lol. i really cant wait until the RAF AWAC is doing circuits again ;)

and thankyou for that link! always wondered how people get down the runway shots!! will be there tomorrow morning :D

how can you see down the runway from that position?

Yes I suppose it was quite lucky, first time I've seen a Hercules coming in to land!

From where I was you can't see too well down the runway. If you look down to the bottom of the page where the map is, I was at the marker closest to the bottom left. If you walk up the path a bit though, apparently you can see very clearly down the runway! However, there were lots of cows about, so I stayed put. I didn't realise that the public footpath continues up there though, so next time I will keep walking.

I dare say you will also be able to find somewhere for the Runway 25 approaches too. I live very close to the airport so I'm going to have a little scout around.

excellent. let me know if you find anything that way! would be good to get a runway view. all the stupid fences get in the way, although the road at the far end of the runway is great for approach shots.

is it easy to park by the public footpath with the cows? :D

Thanks for that. When you say fly, do you actually mean fly? Must be nice

Me and a few more on here are Jet2 pilots, and yes, I think I can speak for us all when I say we feel privileged. Where I'm based we see lots of guys taking pics, many end up on : http://www.airliners.net/

Mind you, you have to be careful not to be picking your nose at the wrong time, could be a tad embarrasing especially with some of the zoom guys snapping away!!!

I'm just starting out in photography, and loving it. Hope to be able to take a few from the ground soon!!!

Last edited:
Back