Beginner A sunset over Farmland

Always great to see light like this coming through Ben. I don't know if you are looking for critique, but as you tagged it beginner I will mention shooting at f18, whilst making sure of a proper diffraction sunburst, is what has caused you issues with flare spots across the lens. Personally, I would suggest a shot like this you could focus on the trees and shoot a wider aperture, probably framing slightly wider and moving the composition around slightly to minimise flare. Then crop in post.

Always great to see light like this coming through Ben. I don't know if you are looking for critique, but as you tagged it beginner I will mention shooting at f18, whilst making sure of a proper diffraction sunburst, is what has caused you issues with flare spots across the lens. Personally, I would suggest a shot like this you could focus on the trees and shoot a wider aperture, probably framing slightly wider and moving the composition around slightly to minimise flare. Then crop in post.
I'll be honest, I hadn't even realised what aperture I had shot at. I had the camera in s***ter. Priority for a helicopter that had just passed to get the rotor movement I think too. I'll take the advice on board next time I see this sort of shot.

With some views you have to accept that how nice a view can look to your eyes it won't always translate in a photograph. There isn't a good separation of the trees from the background with this scene, unless you were to have some rare sunset mist.

As has already been mentioned you have a big problem with flare. While shooting into the sun can work, you need a more distinct point of interest, maybe an interesting lone tree against a clear backdrop (without a background hedge etc getting in the way), which you can use to block the sun and hopefully get the sunburst effect and less flare.

With a golden hour sun don't just assume it means shooting into the light, side lit or sometimes front lit scenes usually work far better and you avoid the exposure and flare issues.

Looks just like the sunray filter in the latest version of Luminar...

Back