A very grave matter.

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
This church and cemetary surrounding it have been a frequent source of interest for me, not just because of what it is, but because of the way the light sometimes falls morning and evening. I've shot it in sunshine, shot it in fog and shot it in frost. Now I've shot it in IR.

ArdleyCemIR-3200 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

ArdleyCemIR-3202 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

ArdleyCemIR-3203 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

ArdleyCemIR-3212 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

ArdleyCemIR-3208 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

ArdleyCemIR-3215 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

C&C welcome as usual.

I know next to nothing about IR photography, but I'm quite intrigued...! It seems to suit the subject well.

Please ignore my ignorance Toni but why IR, they just look to me like the saturation & contrast is turned down.
What is the interest in IR on a daytime shot?

I know next to nothing about IR photography, but I'm quite intrigued...! It seems to suit the subject well.

Thanks Martyn.

Please ignore my ignorance Toni but why IR, they just look to me like the saturation & contrast is turned down.
What is the interest in IR on a daytime shot?

Perfectly reasonable comment. :) These were shot with a camera that had the infrared filter removed from the sensor, and replaced with one that filters out light of shorter wavelengths than 720nm. That has the effect of changing contrast and the way light behaves when reflected off or passing through materials. For example skin and leaves glow from within, rocks and sky turn very dark. The original raw image produced like this comes out pinkish red, requiring colour correction and then the red & blue colour channels swapping to create a false colour image like this. Typically I'll run the images through DXO optics pro for colour balance, then GIMP for colour channel swap (so that skies are blue instead of red) before importing into lightroom for tonal & colour adjustment. The results are also a little unpredictable, and it can be seemingly impossible to get a set of images taken within 15min or each other to colour match. :(

The effect it has is to render things differently - the dark cross in the last picture, for example, is a dull, light grey in conventional colour, and doesn't stand out against foliage like it does here. Sometimes it works well and sometimes they can just look like a slightly 'off' normal colour image. For some reason the images are rendering slightly differently here than they did in Lightroom, and 2 & 3 especially were cleaner & less muddy - I clearly need to do some more work on these.

Last edited:
Back