A Very Luck Escape

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
The local heron that fishes on the weir at Whalley....

heron-7737.jpg

A female mallard and her ducklings, there are 5 altoghter, the other two were just out of frame....

ducklings-7743.jpg

A few minutes later she took her ducklings a little too close to where the heron was fishing and it flew over to make a grab for them, this was her seeing the heron off. Luckily herons are a bit clumsy in flight and she was able to chase it off, had it been one of the larger gulls she probably would have lost one or more of them. At first I thought the heron had managed to grab two, but I saw all five again later as she took them downstream...

Not the greatest of shots as it all happened so quick...

seeing-off-the-heron-7750.jpg

Last edited:
Very fortunate little ducklings, Herons would not normally be put off by a Mallard.

Thanks Gramps, she really did go for it at full pelt... this was the shot before she rammed into the heron, It was over so quick....

Thanks Gramps, she really did go for it at full pelt... this was the shot before she rammed into the heron, It was over so quick....
Good for her, I photographed a Heron take 5 ducklings, whilst the mother frantically tried to fight him off ... and the male just watched from a distance! :(

Back