A visit to the North Yorkshire coast (and a bit of steam)

Name
Martyn
Edit My Images
Yes
We had a great 5 days staying in Runswick Bay in North Yorkshire, a beautiful, friendly and very easy going place. The weather was pretty good and had a few sunsets, though I still can't work out how we see a sunset on the east coast :shrug: For anyone who has never been its well worth a visit, if you like Blackpool and the like you'll probably be bored but if you like scenery and easy going days, oh and the biggest pieces of Fish on a plate I've ever seen, you'll love it.
Anyway, here's a few shots, starting off with the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.
Thanks for looking...

NYM Railway by martyndt, on Flickr

Sandsend (LE) by martyndt, on Flickr

Sunset from Kettleness by martyndt, on Flickr

Sandsend by martyndt, on Flickr

You're going to get wet! (Sandsend) by martyndt, on Flickr

A lovely set of pictures but the colours in No 2 make it outstanding.

Nice set

1. Get it in the transport section, proper train buffs there. I think its really well processed and I like it.
2. Good colours and good use of the big stop filters, I'd have liked to have seen you make a bit more use of rocks, rock pools in a foreground there.
3. I like this, reckon you've maybe added a tad too much saturation here or contrast, maybe a tad more brightness to compensate here
4. I like this composition the best
5. Great scene and colours and what a sky, tad strong maybe on the colours but you do get belting sunsets on the Yorkshire coast, and they can be this colourful

Thanks Mark and Steve for looking and commenting.
Steve, number 3 I found the hardest to process as had no grads with me so had to try and exposure for the sky and lift up the light for the foreground and my computer skills are not the best :LOL:
Number 5's colours are as taken, the camera has done its bit but like you say the sunsets there are something special, every evening the sky seemed to produce a different varity of colours.....1 week of being back home and already have the urge to go back there.
Thanks for the heads up with the transport section, got quite a few more from the NYM railway so will go through them and post a few up.

Last edited:
I really like these Martyn, it's an area well known to me and you've really captured the heritage and its natural beauty

An excellent set; I like them all. Love the composition in 4.

I really like these Martyn, it's an area well known to me and you've really captured the heritage and its natural beauty

Martyn, a very nice set of images and I hope you'll visit our wonderful county again soon!

Thanks Nick and Andy, we will definitely be coming back to a wonderful part of the country.

Great set. #2 is absolutely lovely very closely followed by #5.

An excellent set; I like them all. Love the composition in 4.

Thanks Peter and Andrew for looking and giving comments, I was getting a little disillusioned with my ability and all this helps.

I used to work in Runswick, the hotel at the top of the cliff (Cliffemount). It's a beautiful part of the country, your images are nice, would like to see more of runswick bay though.

I used to work in Runswick, the hotel at the top of the cliff (Cliffemount). It's a beautiful part of the country, your images are nice, would like to see more of runswick bay though.

Thanks Wez, that's the Hotel we stayed at, great views when opening the curtains in the morning.
Have got a few more of Runswick which arn't uploaded yet but on this one you can just see the hotel....

Across Runswick Bay by martyndt, on Flickr

Cracking set. #2 is something special.
On the last image there's a halo along the whole length of the top of the cliffs, which is a shame.

Thanks Ruth :) the last one is cropped quite a bit and had to sharpen, prob overdone a bit and caused the halo

Last edited:
Thanks Peter and Andrew for looking and giving comments, I was getting a little disillusioned with my ability and all this helps.

I think we all feel that way every now and then, but capturing images like this reinvigorates our passion. (y)

Some cracking compositions, and gorgeous light.

Let down a little by technical imperfections, some look a tad over sharpened, some halos (groynes & rock line) and your horizon needs straightening in 4.

If you could sort these out, then the images will sing.

A bit of a late reply as didn't realise there were further comments :bonk:

I think we all feel that way every now and then, but capturing images like this reinvigorates our passion. (y)

Cheers Andy

Stunning set.

Hard to imagine I've lived in North Yorkshire for nearly 30 years after seeing these shots!

It's certainly a wonderful place

Some cracking compositions, and gorgeous light.

Let down a little by technical imperfections, some look a tad over sharpened, some halos (groynes & rock line) and your horizon needs straightening in 4.

If you could sort these out, then the images will sing.

Thanks Les.... And thanks for the help and advise, much appreciated as always trying to improve (y)

Back