A walk along the canal with my Holga

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
When my wife decided she wanted to visit Meadowhall (the big shopping mall in Sheffield) and asked if I wanted to come, I agreed. My real motive was to let her look in the shops while I would explore the nearby Sheffield and Tinsley canal. The canal itself is only a few miles long, terminating at the wharf in Sheffield city centre. I've walked along the canal on a number of occasions, but never at the oposite end to the wharf (close to where it enters the navigable section of the River Don). The canal is very much in the industrial vein, traversing the heart of Sheffield's east end - once an area dominated by factories and steel mills, but not so much these days - with little in the way of bucolic scenes (although there are a few relatively tranquil sections). As the day was grim, overcast, and prone to rain, I decided to take the Holga and some expired film (images 1-5 on Tri-X, 6-8 on Tmax 400).

Not the best photos in the world, just a record of the walk along the canal.

1. This shows the view looking north-east just after the point I joined the towpath. The structure in the scene is the Tinsley Viaduct, where the M1 motorway crosses the Don Valley.

FILM - Tinsley viaduct
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Lock

FILM - Lock gate

FILM -Tinsley canal

5. The occasional rose or other bloom can be found peeking out of the brambles and other scrub beside the towpath.

FILM - At the canalside

FILM - Lock, bridge and pylon

FILM - Lock-keeper's place

FILM - Marina

Nice work Nige. You've got a great eye and can turn pretty much anything into something I enjoy looking at.

I quite like the backing paper bleed through too. Very Holga-esque... You?

Nice work Nige. You've got a great eye and can turn pretty much anything into something I enjoy looking at.

I quite like the backing paper bleed through too. Very Holga-esque... You?

Thanks Ian.

Yeah, the backing paper bleed adds a certain charm to the Holga images (whereas, when it occured on shots I'd taken with my other medium format cameras, I felt the need to photoshop it out! :)).

Good stuff. I think your Holga is sharper in the center than mine!

Or you have better technique more likely. :)

Interesting set and the Holga look suits the subject.

Thanks.

I agree with @Harlequin565, #5 in particular form me, it really works with the vignette and has something “Jem Southam” about it

Thanks Chris. While the vignette and soft edges can be seen as a failing of the camera, I think the look they produce is a definite benefit in some cases.

Good stuff. I think your Holga is sharper in the center than mine!

Or you have better technique more likely. :)

Thanks Des. The sponge pads beneath the film reels are in good condition in mine so the film is held nice and taut across the film-plane thankfully, which probably helps with sharpness.

What a fantastic set of pictures. Someone noted the sharpness in the centre; FWIW and just my personal preference, I don't think I would want to see it so pin sharp in the centre as it can detract from the somewhat dreamy quality elsewhere. Lovely, anyway, makes me want one!

What a fantastic set of pictures. Someone noted the sharpness in the centre; FWIW and just my personal preference, I don't think I would want to see it so pin sharp in the centre as it can detract from the somewhat dreamy quality elsewhere. Lovely, anyway, makes me want one!

Thanks.

You can pick them up for very little - 2nd hand on eBay for less than £20 is fairly easy, and they're only around £40 for a brand new one. I'd hesitate to suggest that they're a good way to get into medium format film photography or anything - the camera's flaws somewhat negate the advantages of the format - but if you're wanting that "Holga look", then they're pretty bargain-basement in terms of cost.

Last edited:
Had a look on eBay; yes, very cheap to pick up. Looked on google at some Holga images, a very interesting aesthetic. Thanks for the intro to a very interesting camera.

Wonderful!!!!!

Back