A walk by the river with a Yashica Mat 124 G and some expired Tri-X

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
A few weeks back I bought a few rolls of expired 135 film from a car-boot sale and the seller threw in an extra bonus in the shape of a roll of 120 Tri-X. The 135 films all expired in the 90s, so I'm pegging the Tri-X at around the same age, although it wasn't boxed and there was no expiry date printed on the foil-wrapper. The only thing I have to go on is that the roll was labeled as "Tri-X Pan", not just Tri-X, and the backing paper was a green colour.

Anyway, I guestimated the roll as being around 25 years expired and decided to shoot it at 160asa. The results are pretty nice, considering my uncertainty of the films age and complete lack of knowledge on how it might've been stored. There's a bit of additional grain in the shadows, but on the whole they're pretty nice.

These were taken on the Five Weirs Walk in Sheffield, which traces the course of the River Don through the industrialised east-end of the city. The river is in lovely condition these days (compared to the polluted eyesore that it used to be when I was a kid) and is now a regular haunt of anglers.

All shot with my Yashica Mat 124 G.

FILM - Footbridge-2
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Fishing

FILM - Cobweb Bridge

FILM - Fishing-2

FILM - Walk Mill Weir

FILM - Pigeon Street

FILM - Partial shade

FILM - Burton Weir

Last edited:
Great result. First and last for me.

What Trevor said, but I also like the lead-in lines and shadows in #7. I really should get my Yashicamat out and shoot some 120 b&w, but I can't help with the age of the film as I only ever tried a few rolls of Tri-X.

Interesting PoV's but the too wide differences
in DR does not support your effort as a "set".

Did you process the film yourself if so please can you give details of chemicals and method please :)

Nice shots, I like number 3 most. I'm looking at getting a Yashica Mat LM to continue my journey with film

Last edited:
Back