A Wander Round Marbury Park

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
So with the last of the autumnal sunshine last weekend, I went for a wander around Marbury park with a roll of SFX and Rollei 400 - intent on comparing the two to find out which was better. I took a roll of Portra because... well... it's Autumn...

It was a bit of a disaster. Forgot my IR filter, lost my (only) pen for my notebook, had 2 accidental double exposures with the Rollei... *sigh*

The Rollei was a much better film for me. Less grain than the SFX even though it's rated a stop faster, more contrast, and sharper (although this could be down to the scan as it's much flatter than SFX). Eit her way - getting sharper results is a bonus. At £5 cheaper than SFX per roll, it's a no brainer. I loaded and unloaded the backs in subdued light and had no light leaks. My only reservation is that I haven't shot it with a filter yet.

Mamiya RB67, 50mm, Rollei 400
by Ian, on Flickr

This was taken on the SFX. I'm really p'd off that this was the double exposure on the Rollei film because it was such a stunning scene in real life. I love what the SFX has done to the light - and that glow - even without a filter looks just fab printed out. Very chuffed with this even though I lost a ton of the image when I straightened it, and had to photoshop out my camera bag which I left in the frame like an idiot.

Mamiya RB67, 50mm, Ilford SFX
by Ian, on Flickr

Finally a splash of colour. Again, I'm really pleased with how this came out. Portra is a lovely general purpose colour film and the colours aren't blasted out here.

Mamiya RB67, 50mm, Portra 160
by Ian, on Flickr

I'm really quite pleased with the results I'm finally getting from medium format. A4 prints are getting to the point where they're comparable to digital. I'm not sure I'll ever get that with portraits, because the X-T2 / 50-140 combo is stunning, but for landscape and infra-red, I'm really happy.

Good shots Ian, and interesting to see the different films in use. I've never tried either the Rollei or the Portra, but I'd be interested to see the effect with the filter fitted with the Rollei. I'm guessing there won't be that many IR days left this year, although you never know!

Thanks Peter. Not seen any sunshine for a few days now and I was waiting to see how sensitive it was before ordering more. I might get lucky and see another sunny weekend before all the leaves drop but I'm not holding my breath.

Love that second shot. The way everything leans in with tree shadows on the ground leading the eye towards the light too.

Back