A week in NW Scotland and Assynt

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
My annual pilgrimage to Assynt in north west Scotland is once again complete. If you don’t know the area, it is a delightful place for landscape photography, full of mountains, beaches, waterfalls, and dramatic weather. You really can’t go wrong – it’s gorgeous.

For one reason or another, this year was different for me. I think it’s largely due to the pressure of work, which meant I never actually got to have a full day to concentrate on photography despite being “on holiday”. Trips were punctuated by conference calls, emails, and all the other paraphernalia that I go to Assynt to escape. Such is life in a start-up in the always-on world we live in. With 4G coverage surprisingly good, I just couldn’t switch off.

There's a fuller write up and more pictures on my website if you have 10 minutes spare.

#1 A viaduct that isn't the Harry Potter viaduct, but a much nicer one further up the line on the way to Mallaig.
Assynt-2019_001-768x512.jpg

#2 Waterfall near Clashnessie Bay.
Assynt-2019_024-768x960.jpg

#3 Canaird River near Ullapool
Assynt-2019_030-768x960.jpg

#4 Boulders near Mellon Udrigle
Assynt-2019_060-768x960.jpg

Nice set Tobers.
I prefer that viaduct to the other more popular one at Glenfinnan too. It's got better surroundings and backdrop. A shot I've always wanted of that viaduct is from further round the coast high up on a hill which incorporates the steam train crossing heading south. The issue is the steam engine is hooked up to the carriages in reverse on that leg of the journey. The only time it is connected facing forwards is when it is heading to Mallaig which is the wrong direction for the shot, how frustrating.

Mellon Udrigle is a cracker too.

Nice set Tobers.
I prefer that viaduct to the other more popular one at Glenfinnan too. It's got better surroundings and backdrop. A shot I've always wanted of that viaduct is from further round the coast high up on a hill which incorporates the steam train crossing heading south. The issue is the steam engine is hooked up to the carriages in reverse on that leg of the journey. The only time it is connected facing forwards is when it is heading to Mallaig which is the wrong direction for the shot, how frustrating.

Mellon Udrigle is a cracker too.

You'd think they'd hook the engine up the right way round for a local legend such as yourself Scott ;)

You'd think they'd hook the engine up the right way round for a local legend such as yourself Scott ;)
lol.....was going to ask just for one picture but pointless, once it's on the tracks that's it for the entire season. There's no facility or turntable to turn it around. Bugger.

I imagine it will be the right way around in the orientation for the first pic in this post i.e. heading north to Mallaig. But if it doesn’t turn around then indeed it will be bad news when it heads south. TBH I’d have been happy with any train, even if just the little diddy modern one. But with one or two trains a day it would have been a miracle if there was one during the 3 minutes of amazing light I got.

Very nice set of images, no fav’s from me as I like them all very much.(y)

George.”

A yearly favourite thread this one Tobers, strangely I prefer a couple of the shots on your website not included here.

Of these the viaduct is lovely, (although I'd clone the backlit pylon RHS) and so is the boulders shot. For me the second would only work if the tree wasn't also moving during the long exposure. I'm not against moving vegetation, but it is not moving enough if that makes sense.

On your website the cut tree horizontal is super, a really good abstract photo, great shapes. Along with the beach shot with the shelves of sand on the LHS, very nice too.

Back