A week on the North East coast

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
So I had a week off last week, when the weather was fine. I went to the seaside every day, and took the opportunity to visit a couple of places that are not too far away, but to which I've never been.

Gear was minimal - camera and wide angle lens on a BlackRapid strap, no polariser or tripod or filters. I did go armed with two Yorkshire terriers, though, which probably explains why!

Blackhall Rocks is a great place - very peaceful with lots of things for a photographer to do.

Burnt Stump on Blackhall Rocks Beach
by Peter Whysall, on Flickr

View South from Blackhall Rocks

North Gare is also a lovely place. The access road is in a bit of a state, but I complained to Hartlepool Council via their website, and a nice man rang me back to advise that they plan to fix it this year.

Tree on North Gare Beach

I go to South Gare a lot, mainly to walk my dogs. It's got ample parking and is a good place to really give them a good run out.

South Gare Moonscape

I've never ever taken a picture of these huts before, despite having walked past and around them many times.

Fishermens' Huts, South Gare

Conclusion: I like living in the North East with places like this just a short drive away.

I like No1, very good (y)

BTW at South Gare there is a huge flat sandy beach, which is where the dogs get to play - I don't make them clamber about on that slaggy rocky part!

Side note: South Gare itself is completely artificial, being constructed in the middle of the 19th Century, using around 5,000,000 tonnes of slag from the ironworks up the river. It cost very little to build, as the works owners paid to have their slag taken away.

Back