Wales A Welsh roadtrip

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, i'm off to North Wales in a couple of weeks but intend to travel through Wales on my way there and make a whole day of it.

My basic plan is to go across the Severn Bridge and make my way across to the Brecon Beacons. From there i'm a bit stumped so can anyone recommend nice locations to stop off at on the way between the Brecon area and Betws-y-Coed?

cheers all and stay safe.

Assuming you want landscape and will be going up the A470: the big reservoirs (Caban Coch, Graig Coch) are a bit of a detour; the B4518 is a shortcut from Llanidloes to Llanbrynmair, and passes Llyn Clywedog , and very close to the spectacular waterfall Ffrwd Fawr near Dylife; just S of Dolgellau there's the Torrent Walk off the road to Brithdir; then woods and waterfalls around Ganllwyd. Hope this helps.

Assuming you want landscape and will be going up the A470: the big reservoirs (Caban Coch, Graig Coch) are a bit of a detour; the B4518 is a shortcut from Llanidloes to Llanbrynmair, and passes Llyn Clywedog , and very close to the spectacular waterfall Ffrwd Fawr near Dylife; just S of Dolgellau there's the Torrent Walk off the road to Brithdir; then woods and waterfalls around Ganllwyd. Hope this helps.

many thanks - yes landscapes is what i'm after.

When we went 5 years ago we stayed on the coast just south of Harlech and did the over the bridge and up through Wales bit. It was this time of year and it was lovely. I think we stopped at Llyn Clywedog on the way up and did the trip round the Elan valley on the way back. Barmouth is nice with the long railway bridge over the estuary but that would be a detour for you if you're staying in BetwsyC.

When we went 5 years ago we stayed on the coast just south of Harlech and did the over the bridge and up through Wales bit. It was this time of year and it was lovely. I think we stopped at Llyn Clywedog on the way up and did the trip round the Elan valley on the way back. Barmouth is nice with the long railway bridge over the estuary but that would be a detour for you if you're staying in BetwsyC.

thank you, i'm really looking forward to it (hoping that we don't get locked down again in the next 14 days!)

From Brecon, take the B4520, then the B4159 towards Garth. Lovely views at the top of the pass. From Garth you could turn left towards Beulah then follow the signs for Abergwesyn. Some lovey places around there to shoot and go for a paddle in the stream. From there you could head up the very steep road and follow the wiggles to LLyn Brianne, but you are heading back south doing that, so you might not want to. If you don’t, head towards Devils staircase for some cracking views and then onto Strata Florida and Pontrhydfendigaid from which you can head north on the B4343 towards Devils Bridge waterfalls. It’s quite touristy but still worth a visit. From there, take the a4120 to Ponterwyd, then the A44 towards Aberystwyth. Shoot off at the A4159 and join the a a487. Follow that all the way to Machynlleth. You can then either take the coastal road A493 or head straight to Dolgellau on the A487. You’ll drive on Road below the Mach loop, so you could stop there and hike up the hill if aviation is your thing, if not, keep going to Dolgellau and then the a470 all the way to Bets y coed.

From Brecon, take the B4520, then the B4159 towards Garth. Lovely views at the top of the pass. From Garth you could turn left towards Beulah then follow the signs for Abergwesyn. Some lovey places around there to shoot and go for a paddle in the stream. From there you could head up the very steep road and follow the wiggles to LLyn Brianne, but you are heading back south doing that, so you might not want to. If you don’t, head towards Devils staircase for some cracking views and then onto Strata Florida and Pontrhydfendigaid from which you can head north on the B4343 towards Devils Bridge waterfalls. It’s quite touristy but still worth a visit. From there, take the a4120 to Ponterwyd, then the A44 towards Aberystwyth. Shoot off at the A4159 and join the a a487. Follow that all the way to Machynlleth. You can then either take the coastal road A493 or head straight to Dolgellau on the A487. You’ll drive on Road below the Mach loop, so you could stop there and hike up the hill if aviation is your thing, if not, keep going to Dolgellau and then the a470 all the way to Bets y coed.

Thanks, very detailed and plenty of options :)

Following this with interest as will be staying in the Hafren Forrest for a week and although already stayed a few times I want to get some landscape photos while there this time as well as the Red Kites which are always a favourite of mine

The A483 on the eastern side through Powys is quite spectacular, you can stop off in Welshpool, check out the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway, the direction which takes you towards towards the A5 near Pentrefoelas.

On the western side you do have, Portmeirion, more little trains, the abandoned slate mines around Blaenau/Tanygrisiau.

We're up in Betws in 10 days time , but coming from a different direction, straight up the A5.

I love the coastline the most so i would take a banana shaped route so that i hit the coast before north wales.

Here :

borth-to-aberystwyth.jpg

First_climb_landscape_.jpg

Only thing I can add being local is be extremely careful where you park your vehicle . We have been totally swarmed out with staycation visitors in the last couple of months leaving there cars/campers where they feel like . The police will now tow away any cars causing obstructions or parked in non designated car parks . Snowdonia being the worst area

Only thing I can add being local is be extremely careful where you park your vehicle . We have been totally swarmed out with staycation visitors in the last couple of months leaving there cars/campers where they feel like . The police will now tow away any cars causing obstructions or parked in non designated car parks . Snowdonia being the worst area

Thanks, useful information. We've had the same sorts of problems here in the Southwest, particularly on Dartmoor and around the coasts - sanity and rational thinking seems to have departed those people!

Been the other way today up the Wirral , more people on the beaches than there was in the school hols , and got stuck on a narrow road with a old dodderer doing 20-25mph for about 5 miles grrrrrrrr

That is a bit of an overstatement, Jeff. I spent the night in the car park at Cregennen (above the Mawddach estuary) last weekend and there wasn't a hint of a police presence. (Or a National Trust warden......) But you are right about how many people are using car parks and layby's to sleep in their campers and cars. I've been doing it for about 30 years and it has never been so popular.

That is a bit of an overstatement, Jeff. I spent the night in the car park at Cregennen (above the Mawddach estuary) last weekend and there wasn't a hint of a police presence. (Or a National Trust warden......) But you are right about how many people are using car parks and layby's to sleep in their campers and cars. I've been doing it for about 30 years and it has never been so popular.
They have certainly been targeting specific sites, I know this as the popular aircraft spots have been a problem with Ogwen being one where they have had to take action

They have certainly been targeting specific sites, I know this as the popular aircraft spots have been a problem with Ogwen being one where they have had to take action

And if you park on one of the Clearways around Snowdon its hardly surprising if you get a ticket......

My suggestion to the OP is to enjoy the ride through Wales which ever way he goes and save the photography until he arrives. What looks like a great photograph from the driver's seat of the car is often disappointing in reality.....

Last edited:
Just be careful to check restrictions as many counties in South Wales are currently under local lock down measures with a police presence asking what you're doing with road blocks. Part of the Brecon Beacons fall under Merthyr and RCT and are currently restricted and out of bounds. There is a group of FB called Beacon Walkers from memory that has a map of what is currently open and what isn't.

Just be careful to check restrictions as many counties in South Wales are currently under local lock down measures with a police presence asking what you're doing with road blocks. Part of the Brecon Beacons fall under Merthyr and RCT and are currently restricted and out of bounds. There is a group of FB called Beacon Walkers from memory that has a map of what is currently open and what isn't.

Yes, seen that, many thanks for the info. I'm now changing my plan ans coming in to Wales from further up country so that I avoid the local restrictions. I still have options so it's not all bad.

Yes, seen that, many thanks for the info. I'm now changing my plan ans coming in to Wales from further up country so that I avoid the local restrictions. I still have options so it's not all bad.

You can still drive through those areas. You just can't stop & go for a walk.

Betws y Coed, being in Conwy is off limits and I think Gwynedd will be the last county in N wales to be placed into local restrictions. Basically, North Wales should be crossed off your itinerary. We managed to visit just before 'lockdown'. The places you want to visit aren't affected by Covid as much as the coastal resorts, but it is blanket coverage.

Which does open up more opportunities in Powys, Meirionydd, Ceredigion etc. Elan, Vyrnwy, the Great Little Trains, Aberystwyth, Mawddach Estuary.

Betws y Coed, being in Conwy is off limits and I think Gwynedd will be the last county in N wales to be placed into local restrictions. Basically, North Wales should be crossed off your itinerary. We managed to visit just before 'lockdown'. The places you want to visit aren't affected by Covid as much as the coastal resorts, but it is blanket coverage.

Which does open up more opportunities in Powys, Meirionydd, Ceredigion etc. Elan, Vyrnwy, the Great Little Trains, Aberystwyth, Mawddach Estuary.

Too late, i'm back ;). I left last Friday, so just about got away with it.

the Elan valley was really nice but water levels very very low indeed.. Snowdonia was great, got some cracking still water images and some decent stuff from Dinorwic.

Thanks everyone for your input, very much appreciated.

the Elan valley was really nice but water levels very very low indeed.. Snowdonia was great, got some cracking still water images and some decent stuff from Dinorwic.

Not any more. I've been yesterday. It is full and overflowing like I've not seen it for 3 years. Colours are popping golden too. I should be back for another session this week weather permitting.

Brecon waterfalls are great too but my fear is the leaves are already falling so it is either this week or nothing. This autumn is quite early and progressing fast so don't leave it too late.

Anglesey is great place but this time of year personally is not optimal. Summer is best and then maybe winter. I am talking about that lighthouse in the island, but actually similar goes for Penmon too. Done this too last week (sadly the clouds were better over Snowdonia so I potentially missed out on a killer shot).

The plan is to go and do as much as possible before it's brown and locked down. Lakes are bit further for me which as a shame.

Back