Critique A Wintery Stob Poite Coire Ardair

Name
Alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
Please can I have critique on this photo. I shot it on the way into do a big winter walk which would have included Creag Meagaidh, Stob Poite Coire Ardair and Carn Liath however on the walk up to Coire Ardair it became apparent that it was not going to be possible due to a knee injury.

A Wintery Stob Poite Coire Ardair
by Alastair Begley, on Flickr

thank you in advance

Al

I like it - excellent winter mood. My one comment won't be very helpful: if you'd positioned the camera a little lower, the white space between the foreground shrub and the vegetation behind would have been smaller, and I think improved the composition a bit. The long walk-in to Meagaidh in deep snow with a dodgy knee - wise decision to turn back!

I like it - excellent winter mood. My one comment won't be very helpful: if you'd positioned the camera a little lower, the white space between the foreground shrub and the vegetation behind would have been smaller, and I think improved the composition a bit. The long walk-in to Meagaidh in deep snow with a dodgy knee - wise decision to turn back!
Thank you, that is really useful feedback. I actually composed a photo with the camera lower and thought I preferred this, should have taken both as I can see what you mean

This was just what I was thinking before reading the first post. (y)

My comment - unhelpful now but would be to take this in landscape, losing the bottom foreground altogether - the good stuff is all in the distance - just go with that tbh

I agree but even then the composition needs working as I find there isn't really anything there to move my eye around and focus on, draw my interest or act as an anchor.

I agree but even then the composition needs working as I find there isn't really anything there to move my eye around and focus on, draw my interest or act as an anchor.
Thank you for the honest feedback. Do you have any ideas which might improve it, appreciate that it’s difficult as you just have my image to go off.

My comment - unhelpful now but would be to take this in landscape, losing the bottom foreground altogether - the good stuff is all in the distance - just go with that tbh

I nearly always agree with you regarding photography Steve, but not completely here.

Maybe because it's been a while since I've seen snow, but I appreciate the wider angle with the perfect snow at the bottom that you could reach in and touch. I don't like foreground interest for the sake of it, but actually the sprig shooting through tells a story and shows how calm the scene is with no wind, and I think I can sense the way the snow absorbs sound. The processing and the distant view still show the icy chill well though.

Maybe it's a fraction blue in places, I'd process some of that out for greater colour separation with the sky but nice one Alastair, good work.

Back