A3 Photo Printers

Edit My Images
Yes
I am at this time doing the round on the internet and the shops trying to figure out which is the best budget A3 printer at the moment.

I have been drawn toward the HP range as I have heard they are better on Ink usage and you do not have large wastage.

I have been looking at the B9100 the top of the shop model or the B8350. I will be printing in B&W and Colour and I mount most of my images when framing.

The printer I have at the moment is not too bad however I do have to increase the brightness when printing and I think the contrast is slightly off.

The questions I have are as follows..

Is anyone hear using either of these two printers.. If so what are your views.

what is the print quality like and are the provided ICC profiles good, what is the screen to print colour quality like.

And lastly if anyone has any other suggestion regarding printers I am all ears....

(But dont tell Noddy..)

Cheers

Nigel.

Hi

I bought a Canon i9950 A3 printer about two years ago and it has given me brilliant results. It takes 8 individual ink cartridges. This model has since been superceded but if the new one is as good I should be ok. I will definately stick with Canon, although others favour Epson. I have a friend who does have an Epson A3 printer which he is happy with but I have heard him mention that if it is not used for a while it requires the heads cleaning.

Hope this is of some help

I bought the Epson R2400,and I am happy with the results.Have not had it long enough to comment on ink.Takes 9 cartridges (3 different blacks)

im with windward on the i9950..... got mine about 3 years ago, the only problem i have with it is that on canon paper believe it or not it prints mono with a green/ blue cast...... on cheaper paper its fine.....
the good thing about canon is that the print head is classed as a spare part and comes out easily ( soak overnight in isopropyl alcohol) and its like brand new!

Fi

Yep i got a i9950 great printer very fast, excellent quality even with third partyy inks....thats when i use it

While the i9950 is a good printer, the prints fade too fast for my liking. (I have had some prints fade after only two years).

If you buying new I would be looking at Epson 1400 (if you want dye sub), or HP B9180 if you want pigment.

I have an epson 2100 (getting on a bit)and have just bought a ciss system for it and I am well impressed..so far anyway, I should have done it a few years ago.

While the i9950 is a good printer, the prints fade too fast for my liking.

Depends what ink and paper you use, not printer

You have to take the cost of cartridges into account, my Carts costs £2-£3ea

I have been using a Canon iP8500 for the past few years with stunning results but wanted to upgrade to an A3 printer. I bought an HP B9180 at the Focus on Imaging event last week and got a decent price. It is producing stunning A3 prints particularly on fine art papers and I am really happy with it. I was a bit wary of changing from Canon but had seen the quality of the prints that the HP was consistently producing and that is what swayed me. The bloody thing is heavy though and built like a tank. :)

I bought the Epson R2400,and I am happy with the results.Have not had it long enough to comment on ink.Takes 9 cartridges (3 different blacks)

That's what I have too.

I've been delighted with the results, on many makes of paper.

I've had some of my best results on Epson's own, of course, but I've settled on Ilford which I think is marginally better. The colours seem to POP off the paper, and B&W prints seem to have something extra about them too.

I have a Hp 9180. This is the first time I have moved away from the Epson Canon brands. I have had it six months and it as never clogged. I have recently done a print run of 30 A4 and 70x 7x5 plus numerous large prints and I have changed only one colour. The profiles set in the printer are a very good match for todays papers and I have yet to put in a icc profile. They are that good. The longevity of the inks has given me the confidence to sell my prints Knowing they will not come back in a years time through fading. It is a big printer but is built to last and I expect to us it for a long time to come. Hope this helps...:)

I have a Hp 9180. This is the first time I have moved away from the Epson Canon brands. I have had it six months and it as never clogged. I have recently done a print run of 30 A4 and 70x 7x5 plus numerous large prints and I have changed only one colour. The profiles set in the printer are a very good match for todays papers and I have yet to put in a icc profile. They are that good. The longevity of the inks has given me the confidence to sell my prints Knowing they will not come back in a years time through fading. It is a big printer but is built to last and I expect to us it for a long time to come. Hope this helps...:)

heya i think someone is elling a really good one with paper and ink for £90 delivered in the for sale section of the forum. check it out!

Many thanks to all that replied to the post.. Lots to think of now.

Still drawn to the HP, I think I will have to find a shop that has one on display that they do sample prints from.

Once again thanks everyone..

Nigel.

For what it's worth if I were buying a printer purely to reproduce photos i would choose epson every time.

Hi

This thread has made me very happy. I threw away my film equipment 8 years ago and since then have been fully digital. My first printer was an Epson 7500. At one point five of us were banging through images - about 200 20x16s a week. At that stage when the printer reached, I think 10,000 prints it stopped working and needed an engineer out, sadly after th eservice it never did work properly again.

So we upgraded to the 7600 and that is still working away. We now need something portable to print 16x12s on ie A3+ and after lots of looking we went for the HP 9180 at Focus. Since getting it last wednesday I have been too busy to open the box. I must as you get a month to test these printers and if you do not like them HP will take them back.
I have enjoyed reading that you are all happy with them

stew

I have an epson 2100 (getting on a bit)and have just bought a ciss system for it and I am well impressed..so far anyway, I should have done it a few years ago.

HI I LIVE ON THE WIRRAL I HAVE JUST BAUGHT THE EPSON 2100
AND I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED IN THE NAME OF THE INK SYSTEM
AND WHARE YOU BAUGHT IT THANKS Michael

Back