Aaarrgghh! Did this in LR but cant remember how!!!

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
Last year I created this image in LR, need to do this again but cant work out how I did it. I think I was in the Develop area, it could have been me selecting a block of the top of the image (backdrop) and cutting and pasting (i definitely cut and pasted something) and positioned at the bottom, then added the text. Could have been using clone and heal, can anyone advise??

The lettering needs a bit more space below it, ok? I'm trying to say that your graphic design skills are a bit crude.

At a basic level this is a Photoshop job, I can't imagine how Lightroom might come into it. Or better, one might use Quark or InDesign ...

The lettering needs a bit more space below it, ok? I'm trying to say that your graphic design skills are a bit crude.

At a basic level this is a Photoshop job, I can't imagine how Lightroom might come into it. Or better, one might use Quark or InDesign ...
No comment on design skills, but I can't see how you can add text in Lightroom.
It's a job for Photoshop or another pixel editor.

I had to do a similar thing earlier tonight using Paint.Net (add a border on the right).

Resizing the canvas under the image menu was the option. Will be very similar all round. Trivial task to be honest in any image manipulator.

Steps here for paint.net.

example1.jpg step1.jpg step2.jpg example2.jpg

Obviously you then do what you want in the white space, crop to suit.

In your situation, I'd have a properly sized 'nameplate' style image ready to be pasted in. Quick text add for the name.

Cheers,

Dougie.

Last edited:
The only place you could do anything like this in LR would be in the print module.

Set you paper size, place your image and add text using the cover plate.
When you have it later out the was you want, then print to file.

Providing you have the required lettering as a jpeg or png you can use the watermark editor in lightroom to include the lettering on export.

Or better, one might use Quark or InDesign ...
Could not have said it better myself.

If you have to add name labels to more than one image then Photoshop \ lightroom \paint.net are totally the wrong tool for the job. The best tool for the job is a desktop publishing application. Quark & InDesign are expensive but there are cheaper and free alternatives out there eg Scribus is a good free one, Serif Page Plus is a good budget DTP program and most people have but rarely use under rated Microsoft Publisher.
This is a very easy desktop publishing task, you would create a page add a table to keep it all aligned then write the name job descriptions under each photo. After completing the document you can go back and change text for example if someone's job role has changed.

Thanks. The annoying thing is I did this in LR so know it can be done! Had a play again and I think it is basically the watermark piece. Will have another play later. Thing is it needs to be as close as possible to what I did before which was as close as possible to other images they already had so would rather keep to the same process I used before.

Useful to hear about the other tools should other clients want this sort of thing.

The only place you could do anything like this in LR would be in the print module.

Set you paper size, place your image and add text using the cover plate.
When you have it later out the was you want, then print to file.

Did you try this? - Because this was my first thought.

Back