B&W Abandoned Barn

Good shot.

Generally I think you you could have given a bit more foreground and background and it might be nice if the chimney part of the building appeared a third of the way in. These comments are always a bit tricky though because that may have been the widest shot you could get.

There might be some evidence of post production appearing around the chimney and that bit of roof structure that sticks out. It also looks a bit over sharpend to me, I've found B&W won't normally take as much sharpening as the same colour image. I normally apply sharpening to the building on it's own and try and avoid sharpening the sky to keep the noise down. You could even think about some noise reduction to the sky.

Nice interesting job though.

To me it looks heavily over-sharpened and/or over-clarity'd. As said above, it could benefit either from a bit more space around it, or - if you are after the detail - getting closer to show off the texture more. Your composition is kind of a halfway house. Agreeing with ah5168, I think a few steps back or a wider angle would suit better.

The sky looks like it's been pulled down to add contrast/tone but the halo'ing around the chimney and roof apex makes it seem a bit unreal. The smudgy smeary "cloud" is in stark contrast to the hyper detailed rock giving the image an unrealistic feel (which may be the whole point!)

All "in my opinion" of course, so please take what you like & leave the rest.

Thank you both.
It is cropped and I still have the raw so I’ll take your comments into account and have another go tomorrow.

Much more 'character' in the original colour version, still has visible pp artifact around the chimney though.

Back