Abandoned cottage (b&w shots added)

I quite like all of them as they are - envious. Love the cracked paint texture of No. 3.

That's not abandoned its my summer retreat ;)

I think i would go for moody also however one other thing i may try would be placing camera lower down in shot 1 let the bush be part of the wild aspect.

Having said moody, was nice seeing blue almost forgot what that looks like locally

Shouting out for monochrome especially #3, but perhaps thats just me at the moment, although the warm roof works well against the blue sky. Great subject

....Abandoned due to insomnia with that roof, no doubt.

Nice set, glad you stopped.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I know what you mean about shooting in mono and that'll be for another time, but on the day it was the roof against the sky that was screaming for colour. I'll play with a mono version of this out of interest though.
The first one is a bit straight-on, but I was lining up the LH chimney with the cloud to see if it would look like smoke, but it doesn't. The cracked paint definitely deserves a better shot, but this was with a 14mm (21mm equiv) and that's as wide as I have for the Fuji. Obviously should have shot this on the 5D and 17-40 before I traded them in! The light pretty much bounces around though, so I'm not sure how directional it would get for a better texture.

That old cottage is a good find.

I'd be tempted to shoot it as IR on a bright day and some cloud with an R72 filter on your XF14mm lens, then convert to B&W. I've just looked at a few B&W IR test shots on the web taken with a Fuji XT-1 XF14mm combination, it works well. You'd need to use a tripod as the exposure would be multiple seconds.

That old cottage is a good find.

I'd be tempted to shoot it as IR on a bright day and some cloud with an R72 filter on your XF14mm lens, then convert to B&W. I've just looked at a few B&W IR test shots on the web taken with a Fuji XT-1 XF14mm combination, it works well. You'd need to use a tripod as the exposure would be multiple seconds.

Thanks Steve. I've actually got an IR converted Nikon D70 that I had out on a walk just the day before this, but didn't have it with me on the day this was taken. :facepalm:

A good set of images. I can't decide which I like the best colour or B/W.

This cottage seems familiar to me, I'm sure I've got a picture of this taken a good few years ago. It's in Northern Scotland Inverness way ?
I'll try to find my shot in my archives.

A good set of images. I can't decide which I like the best colour or B/W.

This cottage seems familiar to me, I'm sure I've got a picture of this taken a good few years ago. It's in Northern Scotland Inverness way ?
I'll try to find my shot in my archives.

Thanks Roger. The cottage is on the A832 road to Achnasheen just about 1/4 mile after the junction with the A835 to Ullapool, so you were definitely in the right area!

That's certainly the one Roger, but it hasn't done too badly for 12 years of neglect. I guess that whoever left the door open at some point has hastened its demise, but it's surprising that someone hasn't tried to sell it off as a building plot.

Back