Abstract or Crapstract?

Name
Will
Edit My Images
Yes
So have been mucking about. Can't decide whether this is working as an image or not. I guess with abstract photography it becomes all the more subjective, no? Hmm, I dunno. Any thoughts or criticism invited. Within creative bounds obviously ;)

View attachment 44647 .

I like it, would like to see it in colour also, perhaps a ladscape crop of just the bottom 3/4s

Looks much better after your re-edit. Didn't see it as snow patterns though thought it was layers of sandstone in a cliff face.

Last edited:
Yeah I thought thats what it might look like to people. I added a bit of grain in pp. I think that makes it look more like sandstone.

Like the extra contrast, prefer the mono version. And I'm not sure that the extra grain helps it? Certainly like others I did think it was sand or sandstone - which is the effect you were aiming for! I could certainly see it mounted on canvas against a white wall in a business environment, it has that look to it.

Probably just the dpi of the web version of the image, but to me it looks soft. Difficult to tell these they though with hi res displays. Otherwise, the picture is nice. Matter of taste, but I prefer it with high contrast/grain up to a point.

Thought it was rock.

Good eye.

I would dial back on the grain if it were me.

I think that is the problem. The grain just looks like poor image quality. Maybe quite appealing if there was no grain.

All photography is an abstraction. Your various treatments of this are uncomfortably gritty. It would rest better if you could make it look like the snow that it is in terms of tones and texture. If it started as a raw file, I'd be very motivated to go to work on the levels and curves.

The main thing is that I think most agree that the basic image is good, but we might all process differently. I'm not really a fan of the extra "grain" and not sure about the blue colour. My initial thought was that it would benefit from a hike in contrast, and I'm now wondering if a duotone or sepia version might satisfy the colour side of things?

Thanks for the feedback.
Had another tinker an thought i'd post the result.

abstakt.jpg

Last edited:
like your re edit good work

Back