Accidental Roof Art (for want of a better title)

Name
rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I had considered calling this thread something like Un-Photoshopped Roofs, but that's not entirely accurate because I've cropped, sharpened and carried out a swifty auto contrast in said software.

The point is how some images can look Photoshopped when actually they aren't - the ol' 'it's all done in camera' thing :)

Anyway, we recently moved house and a few evenings ago, as I was closing the patio door, I noticed that the sky and large tree to the west reflected in the glass and that when the door was at an angle of approx 70 degrees the reflection fitted rather nicely with the roof of the house behind ours.

I took a photo (the first image in this sequence) and noticed how it could easily be mistaken as a Photoshopped image when in fact it's how it actually appeared.

There have been much more interesting skies since and so I have been regularly photographing them at different times of day and also varied the angle of the door. I now find myself pretending that I am developing a project when the reality is that I'm probably developing an obsession!!!

All of this leads me to wonder what shots other photographers on here have taken that could be mistaken for work done in Photoshop or other editing software.

Please feel free to include your examples here. :)

Interesting, just got me thinking could this be done by holding a piece of glass in front of the camera so that it could be used against different backgrounds? I guess the piece of glass needs to be some distance in front of the lens so would need to be fairly large?

Reminds me of doing double exposure photography on 35mm film. Like the effect this has created. Nicely done

Yes reminded me of double exposures too.

I looked at this thread yesterday actually, but I spent so long engrossed in the images that I needed to log off and get on with other things before I had chance to gather my thoughts and comment :LOL:
Definitely an interesting idea, as you can tell by how long I spent looking at them!
The thing is that if you just take them as individual images it's really easy to skim over them, in fact, even looking at the set it's difficult to see a 'wow factor' or define 'why' they have any appeal . . . but there's definitely something there that draws you in and keeps you looking, so I can completely see why it's is becoming an obsession for you!

3,4 and 5 have the biggest appeal for me where the reflection is more pronounced and there's a more interesting sky. but it would be really interesting to see whether you can take this a step further and what else you can do with the idea.

Back