Acromyrmex octospinosus ( Leaf cutter ants )

They need precise and constant humidity and tempreture levels in their nest area as they cultivate a fungus from the leaves they cut which provides their food. The problem with their success though is the space needed to manage the potential size of the colony. After a few years without culling they are better suited to a zoo unless you have a spare room just to house them in.. Interesting pets though. :)

Very cool and lovely shots btw.
Why has it taken you so long to put a macro shot of them on here.

Are there any males? Could you start a new colony? I want to keep ants but the boss says no. (Although I would keep L Niger so I can release them if needed).

I haven't seen any males but to my knowledge leafcutters have never been bred in captivity. They mate at altitude under certain condition that can't be replicated. Although someone on a forum i use witnessed some matings after he transported a colony in a car but nothing came of it. Lasius niger is a great ant to start with and can be kept simply in a glass test tube in your shed for a year or so. And,,, no one would know :)

I haven't seen any males but to my knowledge leafcutters have never been bred in captivity. They mate at altitude under certain condition that can't be replicated. Although someone on a forum i use witnessed some matings after he transported a colony in a car but nothing came of it. Lasius niger is a great ant to start with and can be kept simply in a glass test tube in your shed for a year or so. And,,, no one would know :)
Thanks for that I didn't know that. BTW I think the reproduction of tropical ants is a bit different from ours a Colombian friend of mine who is an entomologist told me he had never seen a nuptial flight there.
Don't tempt me - although I have thought about it - she never goes there but feeding them in secret would be tricky. I wonder how often they need feeding.

Last edited:
They eat very little depending on colony size but a chopped up meal worm and some sugar water will be ok for a few 100 ants a week. Actually i have only ever kept tropical species because they don't need to hibernate.

Back