Adder pair

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
I went adder hunting at the weekend and was lucky enough to find this pair. I love the contrast between the brightly patterned male and the duller female.

Adders 2968a by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Adders 3007a by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Adders 3252a by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Adders 3267a by Dave O'B, on Flickr

What is particularly interesting (to me at least!) is that the male is identifiable as an individual I photographed last year, not far from this spot. I can tell as the head markings are unique to each individual so I'm building up a gallery of head patterns. So far I've identified two snakes that I also saw last year.
The snake on the left of this pic is the same male in the above pics, the colour difference is due to the fact that this year he's freshly moulted whereas last years photo shows him in pre-moult, when the colours are cloudy and muted:

Adder 6087a by Dave O'B, on Flickr

And here's two crops of the head so you can see that the pattern is the same:

Adder 6088-16 by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Adder 3267-17 by Dave O'B, on Flickr

Thanks for looking,

Dave

Wow, amazing photos - how on earth do you hunt for adders!!!

Carefully ;)!

I was lucky enough to find a hibernaculum site last year. The males emerge first (this year they were out in February) and stay close to the site initially, basking in any available sunshine (the warmth is necessary for spermatogenesis). Once I'd determined where the site actually was I could guarantee I'd find them, often in exactly the same spot if the weather was suitable. When the males are in breeding condition and the females have emerged, they tend to disperse, so it's a matter of finding suitable basking spots, usually a small clear area south or south-east facing but close to cover so they can disappear from view if disturbed. They can be quite difficult to spot too; although they appear to stand out from their background in photos, in reality they are quite well camouflaged as the pattern breaks up their outline very effectively, to the extent that a fellow photographer looking straight at one couldn't see it! Even though I've become reasonably good at spotting them, more often I'll see them just a second too late and only see the tail as it disappears into the undergrowth. Then it's just a matter of getting the pics whilst avoiding scaring them off. Simple really!

Cheers,
Dave

Lovely pictures, they fascinate me I've been lucky to photograph a few times in the hills in Northumberland.

Great set I've just come back from Norfolk went looking for adders here there and everywhere no joy as usual one day I will get lucky

Stunnning. Never seen a wild Adder, so would love the opportunity.....

Amazing set!
The only wild adder I've ever seen was the bugger that bit me in 2012! :eek:

Never seen them in courtship or mating, well done on getting these.(y)

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

I love seeing these amazing creatures, who, generally, get a bad press.

Viv, wow! You were unlucky to get bitten. What were the circumstances, and I hope it wasn't too serious!

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

I love seeing these amazing creatures, who, generally, get a bad press.

Viv, wow! You were unlucky to get bitten. What were the circumstances, and I hope it wasn't too serious!

I stepped on it it whilst walking the dog, and it (understandably) had a nibble on my ankle.
I'll admit it was very painful!
I went to the local minor injuries unit, who sourced antivenin.... from a local vet!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
All OK though.

Back