Wild Adders (Vipera berus) both male an female.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Came across this lovely pair of Adders, whilst out looking for butterflies recently.
They were basking on a log pile together, but despite me being very careful/slow/quiet with my movements, the female did not hang around. She did return to bask, within a short space of time.
Both these snakes have some growing to do, before they reach full adult size. Nice to shoot some images of Adders, because it had been some time since i last had the opportunity.

Note - Always show caution, when photographing wild venomous snakes. Ive been observing Adders in the wild, for a decade now, so i have some experience with their behaviour/movements. I never handle Adders, i photograph them, just as i find them.

None of these images have been cropped. Conditions were overcast/cloudy/cool. No flash used. Cheers Paul.

Close up of the male.
Adder (Vipera berus) close up of this male. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

The pair together on the log pile. Female on the right.
Pair of Adders (male an female) basking together on a log pile. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Another close up of the male, he had moved from his original spot.
Adder (Vipera berus) close up of this male. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

A couple more images of the male.
Adder (Vipera berus) male, basking on a log pile. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

Check out that awesome "tip of tail scale"!!
Adder (Vipera berus) male, basking on a log pile. No cropping. by Tort Man, on Flickr

So lucky to get them in the open like that . Nice images , I would be chuffed with those .

Great images. I’ve never seen any of these in the wild.

Well done! Could you brighten them up a little?
Ok, i just had a go at brightening up a couple of these images. I would have done it earlier, but spent the whole day in the garden shooting macro (Bugs).
The close up images seemed to be the best to try.
P1260237-copyb-to-800.jpg

P1260312-copyb-to-800.jpg

So lucky to get them in the open like that . Nice images , I would be chuffed with those .
Cheers for that. Yes, most Adder shots (that are natural, an havent been moved to a more pleasing position, just for the photographer!!) tend to have vegetation involved in the image. Which is what most of my Adder images generally look like. But sometimes you get lucky (not very often) and you find these beauties on log piles etc. which enables a clear shot.
Great images. I’ve never seen any of these in the wild.
Thanks...with a little effort/general knowledge/field skills, you would be surprised at how easy it is to find local Reptiles to you.
It also all depends where you live/what location you are at too. Several years ago, i used to observe 2 Adder colonies, within a few miles of my home. These colonies supported over 20+ adult snakes!

Back