Admiral Von Tromp

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
Saturday saw a pretty foul weather covering the North of the UK. The forecast was seemingly better in the East, so I decided to make for the North Yorkshire coast, in order to explore some of the Cleveland Way. Unfortunately, the sun never really appeared, but the low tide at Saltwick Bay allowed me to venture to Black Nab and the shipwreck of the Admiral Von Tromp. A very photographic location which I now need to revisit for a sunrise, or even just some less atrociously grey drab light

culloden-138.jpg

Better than anything I've ever taken there. On my first solo trip while walking along the beach to the wreck I happened across the body of a guy who had fallen off the cliff.

Anyway, it's well composed and nice detail in the wreck. I think a B&W might work better and there is something strange going on around the edges that have sky around them, I don't think it's haloing :thinking:

Cheers.

Better than anything I've ever taken there. On my first solo trip while walking along the beach to the wreck I happened across the body of a guy who had fallen off the cliff.

Anyway, it's well composed and nice detail in the wreck. I think a B&W might work better and there is something strange going on around the edges that have sky around them, I don't think it's haloing :thinking:

Cheers.

You're right actually, I'd not noticed it when I processed the shot at all (was careful to avoid halo'ing) it's certainly showing as smudged. I'll have to go back and rework the original. I haven't tried a b/w yet either, as it seemed monotone enough in colour!!
Thats quite a horrific story, they're pretty drastic cliffs, and the cleveland way runs right along the edge. The only other time I've been to that bay, we saw seals at sunrise, so I only have good memories really!
Thanks for taking the time to comment. much appreciated.

Cool shot, but I have to agree with Andy regarding the odd "halo-ing", especially around the headland on the lhs.

looks a bit over done hdr style ??
a good tip is if it takes more than 2 mins to pp the shot go back and take the shot again rather than pushing pixels

a good tip is if it takes more than 2 mins to pp the shot go back and take the shot again rather than pushing pixels

Tell me this is tongue-in-cheek, "holty". If not I wouldn't know where to start! :)

Matty, I like this and agree with Andy about B&W. In fact it's almost there anyway. But experimenting with processing might add some extra drama here and there in a B&W image that won't show in the colour version.

I'm wondering about the dark halo. What if the camera was on a tripod and for some reason moved slightly during the exposure? But if it's not there in the original I'm probably talking through my aperture.

delete and start again we all have to learn. big tounge in cheek :banana::banana::banana:

The smudgey halo was doing my head in, it doesnt seem so evident on my mac, when editing.
I can assure you that no more than 1 minute 30 seconds was spent on the processing. In fact, it was probably closer to a single minute @holty
I wonder whether this comes across any better to you guys
16546510109_e194a4121b_b.jpg

I tried a Black and white effort, but there didnt seem enough tonal range to make it sing, a modicum of sunlight would have made this possible I think
Would be interested to hear if people receive this version better.
Thanks for your comments @Sam Tip @viv1969

Yes, then new one looks better. Interesting image, I like it.

Doesn't matter if it takes a minute or a year in pp as long as the end result works!

Someone needs to take a petrol disc cutter to that sticky up metal bit;)

I like the shot and the processing on the second is much better.

Touching stories of the Von Trump and other wrecks in the RNLI museum at Whitby. Always worth a visit.

The second is a big improvement. No funny shadow around the subject and overall much punchier.

Yes, then new one looks better. Interesting image, I like it.

Thank you, glad the rework seems to be an improvement. I'd still like the wreck a little lighter, but hey-ho

Doesn't matter if it takes a minute or a year in pp as long as the end result works!

Someone needs to take a petrol disc cutter to that sticky up metal bit;)

I'm not climbing over the wet rocks to get to it with anything sharp in my hand - I assure you haha!

I like the shot and the processing on the second is much better.

Touching stories of the Von Trump and other wrecks in the RNLI museum at Whitby. Always worth a visit.

Cheers Adrian, thanks for the positive feedback on the processing. Glad it seems to have worked better

The second is a big improvement. No funny shadow around the subject and overall much punchier.

Cheers Phil, many thanks for your input!

Back