Adobe shouts "Update or get sued"??

Unfortunately it's a very different story for CS6 and other versions of CS. Adobe have removed all the public links to the installers, which are now only available by contacting Adobe Support, a process some customers are finding far from straightforward:

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2620448

Luckily I've just managed to locate my original CS6 installer. While poking around the Adobe forums, I came across some interesting links about CS3:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-suite/kb/activation-fails-cs3-acrobat-8.html
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2385900

As with CS2, Adobe have switched off the activation servers and provided a modified version with a licence key that can be installed without activation, which I guess means CS3 is the most recent version that can be used completely outside Adobe's online control - all you need is the new offline installers and key (and possibly the installation tips in the second link). Unlike the activation-free CS2 downloads, they aren't giving this away to everyone - you need an original CS3 key to access the downloads. Since I have a valid CS3 Design Standard key, I grabbed the downloads before this page follows the equivalent CS2 page into online oblivion the next time they rejig the website. I'd advise anyone using CS3 (still a very capable version) to do the same.

In case anyone stumbles across this discussion in the future, the CS3 links no longer work and Adobe has killed all re-installations of CS3 and earlier, unless you already have the (now unavailable) activation-free installers:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...a-question-for-you.717477/page-2#post-8810940

For further details, see post #3, above:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/adobe-shouts-update-or-get-sued.696082/post-8441956

And unfortunately, some of us have been using it without prior knowledge.

I bought an open box version of an older Photoshop through Amazon, and now get (un-removable) pop ups when I open it telling me that's it's illegal.

No recompense from Amazon and, funnily enough, the company that sold it to me don't respond to any of my emails.
I had a similar problem with a legitimately purchased and registered version of CS6.
The thing that worried me most was Adobe looking over my shoulder every time I used their software.
I am no longer an adobe user and have none of their software on my computer.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with a legitimately purchased and registered version of CS6.
The thing that worried me most was Adobe looking over my shoulder every time I used their software.
I am no longer an adobe user and have none of their software on my computer.

Even worse now, apparently the latest update makes LRC not work without an internet connection!

And unfortunately, some of us have been using it without prior knowledge.

I bought an open box version of an older Photoshop through Amazon, and now get (un-removable) pop ups when I open it telling me that's it's illegal.

No recompense from Amazon and, funnily enough, the company that sold it to me don't respond to any of my emails.

It's not un-removable - Google ways to stop it, it is very easy. Then set your firewall to block Adobe!

Even worse now, apparently the latest update makes LRC not work without an internet connection!

Yep. I've been screaming and shouting about it for nearly 2 years now

Just turned off the wifi on my mac, LRC works fine.

I think there is an internal ticker that'll eventually force you to connect.
Been having WiFi/broadband issues so I have been sparingly using the internet on personal computer since I need my phone data for work activities. LR asked me to connect to the internet couple days ago. Hasn't asked me since.

I am not sure how it works but certainly seems like it needs to be pacified by it's patent at some point.

Been having WiFi/broadband issues so I have been sparingly using the internet on personal computer since I need my phone data for work activities. LR asked me to connect to the internet couple days ago. Hasn't asked me since.

I am not sure how it works but certainly seems like it needs to be pacified by it's patent at some point.

But I thought that it was always the case with cc that it would need an internet connect at some point (once per month?). Certainly not the case that it the latest update means it won't work without an internet connection.

Ah right. Doesn't seem to be the case... I am not constantly connected at the moment.

Ah right. Doesn't seem to be the case... I am not constantly connected at the moment.

I think it tries to connect to the Adobe servers either when you open it or whilst it's open (probably both) and, as long as that connection is successful at least once a month, all is good.l At least, that's my understanding.

My Desktop is always on line but I think Adobe only ask me to log in at about 6 months intervals but certainly rarely. I also have a copy on a Laptop so tend to sign in and out as required just to ensure others do no try to use Adobe when I am using on my Desktop. The Laptop is used by others who sign in using their own accounts. So far this has been fine.

Dave

Somehow it always happens when I'm on the plane, or when BT wifi is down.... Just a coincidence perhaps and boom you can't work at all then.

Somehow it always happens when I'm on the plane, or when BT wifi is down.... Just a coincidence perhaps and boom you can't work at all then.
yeah happened to me when the wifi was down. used my phone hotspot to make it work again.
actually i haven't closed it yet lol not going to chance till the wifi is working properly again.

it is a real pain!! never had any issues with LR6 perpetual license.

IF this is all part of a plot to make us sign up to Adobe CC then Adobe have failed miserably on my part, and I no longer use ANY Adobe software.

Not sure which thread to put this on, but here's a nice piece of Adobe activity...

I am a user of an InDesign licence, for a local magazine. Today I noticed that InDesign 2020 was a ? in my Dock. No indication of where it has gone to, and I've not removed it. In my Applications folder is InDesign 2021, which I can run (and move to the location where ID 2020 was in my Dock. No indication anywhere of what Adobe had done. That's not that good.

I am really in bother with my version of Photoshop 6 which I still occasionally use on my old laptop. It isn't connected to the Internet so how would they find me, I have moved 3 times since I bought it in 2000! That sounds to be a bit of a non story invented by someone with nothing to do and a vivid imagination!

All sorts of odd things happen to computers. My main E mail address is Yahoo and on Monday I was receiving messages but it would not let me reply to them using my Desktop computer, but I was still able to with my laptop. I was having to come out, log in again instead of using the short cut and I could reply. Then on Tuesday the same happened to the laptop. A damn nuisance, but usable. Then in the late afternoon it all came back to life on both computers. Now answer that one!

Not sure which thread to put this on, but here's a nice piece of Adobe activity...

I am a user of an InDesign licence, for a local magazine. Today I noticed that InDesign 2020 was a ? in my Dock. No indication of where it has gone to, and I've not removed it. In my Applications folder is InDesign 2021, which I can run (and move to the location where ID 2020 was in my Dock. No indication anywhere of what Adobe had done. That's not that good.
I'd guess you have auto update switched on in Creative Cloud app - that will now update to the latest version when it becomes available and replace the old version.

I am really in bother with my version of Photoshop 6 which I still occasionally use on my old laptop. It isn't connected to the Internet so how would they find me, I have moved 3 times since I bought it in 2000! That sounds to be a bit of a non story invented by someone with nothing to do and a vivid imagination!
Photoshop 6 (from 2000) just has a licence key. It never expires and Adobe cannot prevent you installing or using it, since it does not require online activation. If you mean Photoshop CS6 (2012), it requires activation at the time of installation, but not later. Adobe can't kill it remotely (we hope), but it won't be possible to re-install it when Adobe eventually 'retires' the activation server, unless they make other arrangements (as they did temporarily for CS2/3). In any case, the dubious 'legal advice' mentioned at the top of this thread seems to be intended for users of older verisons of CC, rather than CS or earlier - see above.

I'd guess you have auto update switched on in Creative Cloud app - that will now update to the latest version when it becomes available and replace the old version.
Except it didn't replace the old version, it deleted it, and didn't inform me that there was a differently named app in my Apps folder. Not good practice.

Photoshop 6 (from 2000) just has a licence key. It never expires and Adobe cannot prevent you installing or using it, since it does not require online activation. If you mean Photoshop CS6 (2012), it requires activation at the time of installation, but not later. Adobe can't kill it remotely (we hope), but it won't be possible to re-install it when Adobe eventually 'retires' the activation server, unless they make other arrangements (as they did temporarily for CS2/3). In any case, the dubious 'legal advice' mentioned at the top of this thread seems to be intended for users of older verisons of CC, rather than CS or earlier - see above.
Indeed. Photoshop SC6 works fine until you upgrade your computer and you cannot activate it on the new one...

Except it didn't replace the old version, it deleted it, and didn't inform me that there was a differently named app in my Apps folder. Not good practice.
Erm - deleted and put new version in/replaced - same thing. It's a recent change to how they do it and I'd agree not the most intuitive - You can roll back to last major version via Creative Cloud app

Erm - deleted and put new version in/replaced - same thing. It's a recent change to how they do it and I'd agree not the most intuitive - You can roll back to last major version via Creative Cloud app
It wasn't replaced. If it was it would have been in the Dock.

This one is probably more of a rock into apple's garden. They treat even minor updates like a new app and many times it kills the shortcut for no good reason at all. Yet somehow when you update Chrome it manages to stay in place... not sure what's really going on.

LIke people have said, its just Adobe (or was as this is fairly old) warning them that they might get sued by a third party. Its all down to Dolby going after anyone and everyone that's made use of ac3 audio files. Dolby own the technology and basically didn't do anything about it until a few years back. Then they went after absolutely everyone that made use of their technology, which is why loads of apps on app stores suddenly lost the ability to playback audio in video files that were encoded with ac3, The result being they had to pay Dolby for usage rights and that was passed onto consumers by having to buy another version of the software that re enabled this feature.

This one is probably more of a rock into apple's garden. They treat even minor updates like a new app and many times it kills the shortcut for no good reason at all. Yet somehow when you update Chrome it manages to stay in place... not sure what's really going on.

Well so what? If that is the behaviour when you change an app so much, Adobe could tell users that they have changed the app so much that it will need putting back in the dock, and the old one removing. Hell, they make enough money (for their shareholders) out of the software...

Reactions: TG.
Back