Adoration

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
So we got back from Israel about 10 days ago with 2500 pictures between 2 of us. I culled that down to about 1000 and have done basic processing on all of those, and I'm now sorting through the general mess to find the gems. There are several themes that seem to have come through, though I have generally stayed away from the religious side of things apart from paintings & similar.

In the church of the holy sepulchre this nun was kneeling on the tiled floor when we came in, and was probably there for 30min while we were in there. Despite what must have been considerable discomfort, she was praying with rapt attention, not even seeming to notice the crowds swiring around her.

Adoration-2247 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

I'm not entirely satisfied with this one. It would have been nicer to isolate her further from the background and I'm not totally convinced about the colour temperature either, but the mixed light made that difficult to fix. C&C welcome

I'm not entirely satisfied with this one. It would have been nicer to isolate her further from the background and I'm not totally convinced about the colour temperature either, but the mixed light made that difficult to fix.

The nun is window lit but most of the room is
with what seems to be neon… greenish!

Two colour strategies and none will give good
results, you already have tried one here.

The other option is the conversion as the colours
are maybe not an essential element in the shot.
This step will permit tonal separation using the
luminance values instead of the chrominance ones.

Being one to take advice, here's the mono.

Adoration- by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

TBH I'm still not realy convinced: the lighting is too uneven with shadows and highlights in the wrong places, and since photography is all about the light....

TBH I'm still not realy convinced: the lighting is too uneven with shadows and highlights in the wrong places, and since photography is all about the light....

A conversion is in fact a translation of all the tones.
The back room contains not details anymore… way
too black!

The other thing is the darker skin of the nun… I know
this is her racial type but that could be tweaked too.

Thanks Kodiak. As a straight conversion the image just went a bit muddy grey, and the background suddenly took over completely - the only way to keep focus where I wanted it was to drop it right away. I've pulled the skin tones up as far as I can before they start going blotchy, though I might try a different package for the conversion with a better algorithm for smooth adjustment,

Perhaps the image just isn't strong enough.

If I remember correctly, you shoot JPGs right?

Happy to be corrected! :)

So we got back from Israel about 10 days ago with 2500 pictures between 2 of us. I culled that down to about 1000 and have done basic processing on all of those, and I'm now sorting through the general mess to find the gems. There are several themes that seem to have come through, though I have generally stayed away from the religious side of things apart from paintings & similar.

In the church of the holy sepulchre this nun was kneeling on the tiled floor when we came in, and was probably there for 30min while we were in there. Despite what must have been considerable discomfort, she was praying with rapt attention, not even seeming to notice the crowds swiring around her.

Adoration-2247 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

I'm not entirely satisfied with this one. It would have been nicer to isolate her further from the background and I'm not totally convinced about the colour temperature either, but the mixed light made that difficult to fix. C&C welcome

i like the shot but would have concentrated on the angel..more iconic for me
did you like Jerusalem...the keys for the CotHS...are kept by muslims...and then there is the Coptic church on the roof
keep the shots coming.
cheers
geof

Being one to take advice, here's the mono.

Adoration- by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

also see my post above

No..you have lost the aura..for this the various tonalities of the nun's clothes carry more 'information' than the black to white
Galations 1:8 is quite fitting here..a different angel instead of a different gospel
:)
cheers
geof

Last edited:
i like the shot but would have concentrated on the angel..more iconic for me
did you like Jerusalem...the keys for the CotHS...are kept by muslims...and then there is the Coptic church on the roof
keep the shots coming.
cheers
geof

Thanks Geof, I was aware of the key arrangement - because various church organisations couldn't agree between each other and had to get an independent 3rd party involved. :rolleyes: Did you know about the immovable step ladder too?

I have a very mixed set of feelings, but I suspect Jerusalem would be a fascinating place to walk around for a few days without intentionally visiting any religious sites. Some of the art in the churches there - both hung and painted onto the walls - has an amazing depth to it that a younger 'me' would never have appreciated (I'd probably have burned the lot). We've returned home with a very mixed bunch of feelings, a mild case of buyers remorse, and a feeling that while we saw the sites, we missed the best stuff.

Thanks Geof, I was aware of the key arrangement - because various church organisations couldn't agree between each other and had to get an independent 3rd party involved. :rolleyes: Did you know about the immovable step ladder too?

I have a very mixed set of feelings, but I suspect Jerusalem would be a fascinating place to walk around for a few days without intentionally visiting any religious sites. Some of the art in the churches there - both hung and painted onto the walls - has an amazing depth to it that a younger 'me' would never have appreciated (I'd probably have burned the lot). We've returned home with a very mixed bunch of feelings, a mild case of buyers remorse, and a feeling that while we saw the sites, we missed the best stuff.

i saw the ladder but didnt know it was immovable

re: jerusalem...its the city of 3 great religions...all at variance to some extent...abraham was our father...but we digress...religiously
the art is for the eyes... the religious sites chosen by the romans..and one english general...garden tomb
galilee howerver is for the heart and the spirit if you can still access the slopes below the church of the beatitudes..which we did in the 1990's and just walk the land which are as they were one could assume 2000 years ago..
i think its called going off piste...worth the effort and permission of course..no trespassing allows...forgive us for them..:D
really looking for your shots..mine are mainly prints..no negs now
after being in israel many many times, along with jordan and the sinai when it seemed empty...would not be worth another visit but i know you will perhaps change that with your shots

TBH the area around Jerusalem seems to be mostly under concrete and rubbish, with the city almost extending to Bethlehem and the wall between J and Bethphage preventing walking between the 2. We did the walk down the beatitude hillside and a boat trip on galilee, but for *us* there was nothing special - I'm not one for 'thin places', and consider the the concept borderline pagan - but the SoG was nice to swim in after a log hot day. :) My favourite places were Wadi Kelt (that I've already posted) the wilderness areas south around the dead sea and the lanes and back streets of Jerusalem. I blogged the trip, mostly 'live' with excerpts being published daily up until Monday evening next week. www.tertl.blogspot.com if you really want to read my thoughts.

The garden tomb seems a less unlikely spot than many.

TBH the area around Jerusalem seems to be mostly under concrete and rubbish, with the city almost extending to Bethlehem and the wall between J and Bethphage preventing walking between the 2. We did the walk down the beatitude hillside and a boat trip on galilee, but for *us* there was nothing special - I'm not one for 'thin places', and consider the the concept borderline pagan - but the SoG was nice to swim in after a log hot day. :) My favourite places were Wadi Kelt (that I've already posted) the wilderness areas south around the dead sea and the lanes and back streets of Jerusalem. I blogged the trip, mostly 'live' with excerpts being published daily up until Monday evening next week. www.tertl.blogspot.com if you really want to read my thoughts.

The garden tomb seems a less unlikely spot than many.

re: the garden tomb...its a fake...the skull wouldnt have been in the cliff at the bus station that long ago...i think it has become the 'thinner' place for those who dont want to give a nod to rome..and centuries of tradition...and the emperor's mother's choice of sites after his conversion..??
as i have said Toni, perhaps a final visit will turn me completely off with recent develpments,
what is more important here i think is good photography and good cc...which we both enjoy

its the fulfillment of the holy land which is so good..diverse folks find what they want or need there, growth comes later, and one would hope deeper faith...and less histrionics
personally i am quite exhausted after years of christian theatre...the mega church and the famous evangelist at the front is one aberration...imho
wadi kelt...the valley of the shadow of death and herods water supply to jericho from jerusalem...via a well engineered trough...i like that area as well..again jericho with nazareth are arab towns...
we spent many hours round the south side of temple mount..where the steps cut out of mount moria are still visible...the temple steps..as being permanent
since 1973 i have seen on tv the present excavated areas there...

ps...the blog is good!!! and true to life...glad you showed the reality
cheers
geof

Last edited:
It may amuse you to know that the 'nose' part of the skull fell off recently. Apart from that it's no more or less likely than the traditional CotHS within the city wall. :whistle:

We stood on those steps you mentioned, though whether that's the original mount moria.....

Hezekiah's tunnel between the original city of David & the Gihon spring was impressive (more than half a kilometer of man-size tunnel cut through solid rock with bronze-age implements, level enough to actually carry water too!) although some suggest it was nothing to do with Hezekiah either. But no-one is going to be allowed to do excavations on the temple mount area for a while yet.

It may amuse you to know that the 'nose' part of the skull fell off recently. Apart from that it's no more or less likely than the traditional CotHS within the city wall. :whistle:

We stood on those steps you mentioned, though whether that's the original mount moria.....

Hezekiah's tunnel between the original city of David & the Gihon spring was impressive (more than half a kilometer of man-size tunnel cut through solid rock with bronze-age implements, level enough to actually carry water too!) although some suggest it was nothing to do with Hezekiah either. But no-one is going to be allowed to do excavations on the temple mount area for a while yet.

the dome of the rock is built on what i assumed was mount moriah but can believe it might have been though that it was...
david bought the threshing floor to build a temple...somewhere around there?
but solomon built the temple...on ...where is the threshing floor...on top of a mountain??...well its windy
the jews are under mining the area to find stables and other remnants of the first temple..which you say has stopped..must be getting somewhere
the large blocks uncovered there show the edge treatment used by herod...the first temple
and of course abraham was to sacrifice isaac on moriah
of course there are the mountains of moriah and or mountains in the district of moriah
the samaritans live in the area of mount gerizim...where they still celebrate to this day the passover there and have traditions of that mountain...the highest..to have been the place of God's temple...and the site of the abraham and isaac proposed sacrifice...
but the site of the first temple is fixed...as we can see... and events are centred around those steps...which if not cut into mount moriah...are the originals..and the mikvah's and hidden tunnels for the priests to get cleaned up
the mount moriah terminology suits the story...as a lot of prophetic and traditional threads come together in a knot in the tapestry
my money is on 1 timothy 1:15

come on some more street scenes...please

Back