Adventure Racing - The Heb

Name
Carrick
Edit My Images
No
Marketed as 'The Race on The Edge', The Heb is a two day, 200km multisport race around the Uists and Benbecula, way up in the Western Isles. I've been lucky enough to be there as a photographer the past two years, and it's an amazing location, but particularly prey to all the weather fronts sweeping in off the Atlantic.

This year we had glorious sunshine on the Saturday and 50mph horizontal drizzle on the Sunday, but as always, you take what you can get at these things. P

Biking across the causeway to North Uist by P.Y. Photographic, on Flickr

Runner on the sands, near Vallay by P.Y. Photographic, on Flickr

Between lochans, near Eaval by P.Y. Photographic, on Flickr

Rider on the storm, South Uist by P.Y. Photographic, on Flickr

Controversial but i find 2 the weakest due to a less balanced composition.

I love 1 and 3!

3 for the height and dynamic perpective
1 because i love this kind of lanscape shot without sky

Edit: invert 3 and 1 in the sentence above!

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments all. Thomas - would you have any suggestions regarding re-balancing #2?
I appreciate, the ruin on the right throws it out a little. Unfortunately I was perched up on a slightly slippy rock to get the competitor's head separated from the sand/island boundary line!

Part of the brief for this event is "capturing the event within the context of the landscape", which can be a challenge in itself. It's trying to combine landscape photography with close-up events photography, artistic/compositional elements with getting the action, and I fully admit the artistic side of photography is something I'm weak on sometimes. Any critique is good learning though!

I must say I love no.1. The light looks fantastic, it's perfectly composed, and the frame is full of information.

To greater or lesser extents the other three might work better if they were cropped into panoramic images. Might be worth a try?

To capture the events within the landscape must have been an interesting brief.

Thanks for the comments all. Thomas - would you have any suggestions regarding re-balancing #2?
I appreciate, the ruin on the right throws it out a little. Unfortunately I was perched up on a slightly slippy rock to get the competitor's head separated from the sand/island boundary line!

Part of the brief for this event is "capturing the event within the context of the landscape", which can be a challenge in itself. It's trying to combine landscape photography with close-up events photography, artistic/compositional elements with getting the action, and I fully admit the artistic side of photography is something I'm weak on sometimes. Any critique is good learning though!

As you said nothing wrong with the picture or the way you took it, I just find the ruin on the right make it a lens clean picture that the other ones. I'd be tempted to crop it just out.

As you said nothing wrong with the picture or the way you took it, I just find the ruin on the right make it a lens clean picture that the other ones. I'd be tempted to crop it just out.

For what it's worth I wouldn't touch it, I've looked at it again after reading these comments and think a crop would ruin it (pardon the pun), just my opinion.

Very nice set of images Sir, liking them all with #4 being my fav' closely followed by #2.(y)

George.

Back