Adventures in Ambient

Name
Bryn
Edit My Images
Yes
These are admirably and no doubt painstakingly executed studies, and very beautiful images IMO.

Every time I click into one of your threads I expect a very high standard of images and you have not disappointed. Beautiful images Bryn, especial the 2nd.

Every time I click into one of your threads I expect a very high standard of images and you have not disappointed. Beautiful images Bryn, especial the 2nd.

Thanks Steve... I'm glad i'm keeping the standard up. :D

Really like no 1 Bryn and thats a rarity me liking a flower image best, so it must be good!

Thanks Neil, I'm slowly converting you thats the 4th flower shot you have liked and I don't shoot many :D

Some really nice work Bryn, particularly #2.(y)

George.

It's good to see you enjoying ambient, which can give such lovely colours.

... A good colour profile is great help :D

Have I missed something here? Are you using camera profiles now?

All comments welcome and appreciated.

I thought #1 looked too soft, but it looks ok over at Flickr. I would have been tempted to some touching up on the two round spots and, perhaps, very slight cropping around the top left.

#2 also looks better over at Flickr, with nice eye detail (too narrow DOF for my taste, but so what), but I'm not keen on the green fringing. (Looking back at #1, I think I can see some green fringing there too, on the boundary of the flower and the background.)

The DOF in #3 is very narrow (ditto so what, taste etc), but it falls oddly to my eye, with a slice of the wing behind the head/eye in focus. That doesn't appeal to me.

The DOF in #4 is very narrow (ditto) and leaves the near wing so heavily OOF that I find it distracting. I think the flower looks lovely.

All personal taste and so what perhaps, but probably best to say these things (at least with those we think will take such comments as intended. :))

Have I missed something here? Are you using camera profiles now?

Don't think you have missed anything... I use the colour checker passport for correcting the Venus red cast and white balance checker.

I thought #1 looked too soft, but it looks ok over at Flickr. I would have been tempted to some touching up on the two round spots and, perhaps, very slight cropping around the top left.

#2 also looks better over at Flickr, with nice eye detail (too narrow DOF for my taste, but so what), but I'm not keen on the green fringing. (Looking back at #1, I think I can see some green fringing there too, on the boundary of the flower and the background.)

The DOF in #3 is very narrow (ditto so what, taste etc), but it falls oddly to my eye, with a slice of the wing behind the head/eye in focus. That doesn't appeal to me.

The DOF in #4 is very narrow (ditto) and leaves the near wing so heavily OOF that I find it distracting. I think the flower looks lovely.

All personal taste and so what perhaps, but probably best to say these things (at least with those we think will take such comments as intended. :))

Yeah as usual looks better on Flickr, and I will remove the spots in #1 when I print it for my wall :D

#3/4 are experimental and clearly show f4 wasn't enough at that magnification there was plenty of light but was out with kids for a walk so time was limited.

TBH I'm not seeing the green fringing well see a slight bit on #2 mouth part but not anywhere around the legs etc... where I would expect to find it and not seeing it at all on #1 I think its just part of the background and not CA.

But thanks for the in depth feedback which is vital to this site really. :D (y)

Don't think you have missed anything... I use the colour checker passport for correcting the Venus red cast and white balance checker.

Ah, I didn't know (had forgotten? :)) that.

TBH I'm not seeing the green fringing well see a slight bit on #2 mouth part but not anywhere around the legs etc... where I would expect to find it and not seeing it at all on #1 I think its just part of the background and not CA.

Here's where I'm seeing it. A green tint under the plain yellow areas, a green fringe under the lines with orange spots.

NOT MY IMAGE - Bryn fly crop - Green fringe and tinge areas 150pc
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Here are the areas I thought might have a green fringe on the flower, but looking at it more closely I think this might be the background colour bleeding into the edge of the flower.

NOT MY IMAGE - Bryn flower - crop top left edge 150pc green fringe or bleed line

NOT MY IMAGE - Bryn flower - crop middle right edge 150pc green fringe or bleed line

Ah, I didn't know (had forgotten? :)) that.

Here's where I'm seeing it. A green tint under the plain yellow areas, a green fringe under the lines with orange spots.

NOT MY IMAGE - Bryn fly crop - Green fringe and tinge areas 150pc

Here are the areas I thought might have a green fringe on the flower, but looking at it more closely I think this might be the background colour bleeding into the edge of the flower.

NOT MY IMAGE - Bryn flower - crop top left edge 150pc green fringe or bleed line

NOT MY IMAGE - Bryn flower - crop middle right edge 150pc green fringe or bleed line

Cheers... don't think the areas are CA on the flower but least we were looking at same part.

I will re edit the fluke fly and get rid of the green CA can certainly see what you mean now :D

I don't really know what the difference is between CA and fringing, but FWIW when I tried CA removal in Lightroom it didn't touch it, but this setting of green fringe removal pretty much got rid of it.

NOT MY IMAGE - Bryn fly crop - Lightroom Green defringe

Lol... defringe is removing CA but doing it manually :D though I will need to see as 20 is quite a high setting for very little CA on it.... maybe removing unintended edges with that setting.

Lol... defringe is removing CA but doing it manually :D

Ah, as simple as that. :) Thanks.

though I will need to see as 20 is quite a high setting for very little CA on it.... maybe removing unintended edges with that setting.

Could well be. It was a very quick hit.

Not so sure about "very little CA" though. I can see it clearly on the small version in the OP. Remind me Bryn, are you using a calibrated screen? (Not that I know whether that would make any difference in this case.)

Remind me Bryn, are you using a calibrated screen? (Not that I know whether that would make any difference in this case.)

Indeed I am but have a new laptop at work... which is not calibrated. Personal one is not that it matters the CA should be easily removed and I will do just that to tidy it up a little as I'm really happy that f2.8 worked out so well in this accidental case.

You've got purple fringing on the inside line of the eye too ;)

Great set Bryn. When I opened the thread I half expected you to be recommending some Brian Eno albums, but the images soon overcame my disappointment. I'm not a fan of bug shots where they are facing away from the viewer (unless there is a valid compositional or identification reason behind it) but the butterfly shots demonstrate how flexible the Venus is, and obviously the colours and lighting are lovely.

You've got purple fringing on the inside line of the eye too ;)

Great set Bryn. When I opened the thread I half expected you to be recommending some Brian Eno albums, but the images soon overcame my disappointment. I'm not a fan of bug shots where they are facing away from the viewer (unless there is a valid compositional or identification reason behind it) but the butterfly shots demonstrate how flexible the Venus is, and obviously the colours and lighting are lovely.

lol thanks I shall sort out both and hopefully it can be forgotten :D

I wanted more shots of the Marbled white but my little one wanted to hold it like she did at the butterfly house at the Zoo... the butterfly wasn't as willing and flew off straight after this shot. Guess the looking away is taste sometimes it works for me sometimes it doesn't.

I wanted more shots of the Marbled white but my little one wanted to hold it like she did at the butterfly house at the Zoo... the butterfly wasn't as willing and flew off straight after this shot. Guess the looking away is taste sometimes it works for me sometimes it doesn't.

A quick tip! If you want butterfly's to land on you, lick the back of your hand and hold it out. They will be attracted to the salt content and come and land on you to get at it.

Although... I did learn this trick in the Brazilian rainforest where salt may be quite difficult to come by. I'm not sure if the same will work in your back garden :(

IMG_2777-2
by bthomas124, on Flickr

Redone... maximum I can do on purple as the eyes start to lose colour.

A quick tip! If you want butterfly's to land on you, lick the back of your hand and hold it out. They will be attracted to the salt content and come and land on you to get at it.

Although... I did learn this trick in the Brazilian rainforest where salt may be quite difficult to come by. I'm not sure if the same will work in your back garden :(

Cool certainly works in butterfly house, not sure wild british species are as bothered but will try :D

Back