Advice needed

Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, looks like i have come to the right place to get decent information. I am thinking about buying a sigma 105 F2.8 EX macro lens for my 300D and was wondering if this lens is what you guys woudl recommend for very good macro shots. I am mainly going to try and use it for moths and butterflies. Also what flash should i look at buying as i really want to get the best shots i can. any advuce appreciated. many thanks.....Johnny.

many thanks..I have just placed an order in for one this minute, but can anyone advise on a flash unit to go with this for insect photography?..cheers

If you can, you're better off without flash, Especially for shots of insects as it's hard to avoid reflections and hotspots on their carapaces,eyes,wings etc. For flowers a flash is ideal.
AFAIK, sigma and canon make dedicated macro flash set-ups that fit on the end of the lens and have 2+ flashes so you can reduce harsh shadows and reflections etc. They're bloomin pricey though for a flash that really has one use.

Failing that, just a dedicated flash for your camera should be fine. Metz, sigma or Canon would do.

Johnny,

I use a Sigma EM-140 DG ring flash.....not on your lens, but on an EF-S60 and EF180L.

Works fine for me and is much cheaper than the MR-14EX from Canon. It comes in a neat little bag with 55 and 58mm adaptors included....most other sizes are available for about 6 quid at Warehouseexpress.

Bob

Back