Advice on a new TV

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
No
Our six year old 42" LG LCD flat screen is starting to develop problems, both hdmi sockets on rear have packed up, TV goes onto standby by itself, and the most annoying so far is the actual TV picture is much darker than normal for some strange reason, so it's probably not worth fixing.

So any advice on buying a new TV please would be appreciated, something like a 42" size and it doesn't need to be a new smart technology etc. It's to be used as our main TV in the lounge etc. We're not sure to aim for a LCD - LED - Plasma etc.......?

Any advice appreciated.

Regards;
Peter
Central Scotland

I can't really help, but I don't think you can get plasma TV's anymore. :(

Last edited:
Do you need or use 4K?
If not, I can highly recommend JVC sets for dumb TVs.
Also, I would recommend waiting for black friday or xmas sales, TVs tend to drop in price by hundreds at those times. My 55" JVC was only £280 last year at xmas.

Edit: It is currently £449 in currys, where I bought it last year.

Last edited:
Size is not everything.
Don't get one that overwhelms the room.

Richersounds. They have a 43 inch LG for about £400. Their TVs usually include a 6 year warranty.

we now have 3x Samsungs (of varying size) after a Panasonic plasma.
I am more than happy with the last one (47") and overall size of it is not much larger than the 42" Panny we had.
The image quality of considerably better!

Got it from John Lewis as well so if there are any issues, their warranty (I'm led to believe) is quite thorough.

Have you had a look here or here and I am sure there are a plethora of reviews on AV Forums.....

the colour on plasma units was so much nicer.

Yep I agree, proper blacks. Also seemed much less motion blur. (although I suppose the new stuff these days has improved a lot now)

55 inch seems the standard these days ,but don't take to much notice of the sound quality as 80% of new t.v's will now need a sound bar as well ,so factor that into your price structure

Size is not everything.
Don't get one that overwhelms the room.

I have to disagree. Size makes a great difference to the viewing experience. I'd always buy the largest size screen I could afford; as long as I'm not compromising picture quality.

The strange thing is that after a few days that new behemoth flatscreen seems perfectly normal in ones living room. They do not overwhelm in the same way that CRT's did.

Yep I agree, proper blacks. Also seemed much less motion blur. (although I suppose the new stuff these days has improved a lot now)

OLED TV's produce much better blacks than plasmas (including my old Pioneer Kuro) ever did; though aren't quite as good in terms of motion handling. Unfortunately they're not exactly cheap...

55 inch seems the standard these days ,but don't take to much notice of the sound quality as 80% of new t.v's will now need a sound bar as well ,so factor that into your price structure
I put mine through the stereo, much less boomy, can actually hear dialogue and music/effects without being blasted with excessive bass.
Matt

I have to disagree. Size makes a great difference to the viewing experience. I'd always buy the largest size screen I could afford; as long as I'm not compromising picture quality.

The strange thing is that after a few days that new behemoth flatscreen seems perfectly normal in ones living room. They do not overwhelm in the same way that CRT's did.

OLED TV's produce much better blacks than plasmas (including my old Pioneer Kuro) ever did; though aren't quite as good in terms of motion handling. Unfortunately they're not exactly cheap...
And I'd also disagree.
BiL has an 80' Samsung in his 14ft lounge, and it a) looks ridiculous and b) makes for uncomfortable watching.
At that distance, you are simply sitting too close. Like sitting on the front row at the cinema.

I'm with @viv1969 on this one.

I went to view a house the other day and in the lounge one whole wall was taken up with a massive TV, it was miles to big for the room it was in, looked silly and made the lounge feel small.

I have a 32inch TV myself and I find that plenty big enough and it sits well in my lounge

Samsung and john lewis
I have a smart 49 and it is epic.

And I'd also disagree.
BiL has an 80' Samsung in his 14ft lounge, and it a) looks ridiculous and b) makes for uncomfortable watching.
At that distance, you are simply sitting too close. Like sitting on the front row at the cinema.

I'm with @viv1969 on this one.

I went to view a house the other day and in the lounge one whole wall was taken up with a massive TV, it was miles to big for the room it was in, looked silly and made the lounge feel small.

I have a 32inch TV myself and I find that plenty big enough and it sits well in my lounge

Those are two two extreme examples and what I said was:

"The strange thing is that after a few days that new behemoth flatscreen seems perfectly normal in ones living room. They do not overwhelm in the same way that CRT's did." - in other words after a few days of ownership you become accustomed to the size of the television and it doesn't overwhelm you.

Of course, visitors coming over for a few hours, may well find the television too much. Particularly if they are used to a smaller screen in their own home. I was looking at things from the owners perspectives not a visitors.

That said; the simple rule is that if the TV screen size and the seating distance from the screen is such that you can see the pixel structure of the picture then you are too close. Or if the seating cannot be moved further away; then the set is too big.

Several years ago a friend had decided to buy a 50" flatscreen TV. He was going to be sitting about twenty feet away from it. I told him that combination of screen size and distance was such that he would be unable to distinguish between High Definition and Standard Definition material. The set he was thinking about was a high end TV. I told him that he should buy a bigger screen for that sort of distance. I also said that if he couldn't stretch his budget; he'd be better off buy a bigger set of lower quality than the high end set he was considering. He ignored my advice and proceeded with his purchase. After about two weeks of ownership of his new TV he called me to say I was right. He couldn't tell the difference between between DVD's and Blu-ray's. He's regretted his decision ever since.

Most people I know decide what set to buy on the basis of price and screen size. I've never known anyone to complain that they have bought a TV that's too big; but I have known several to regret that they had not bought a bigger TV.

At the end of the day; it's down to how we watch TV and expect of it. If you're just watching the news and some light entertainment pretty then pretty much any television size will do,

If you're watching Lawrence of Arabia and want to appreciate the cinephotography; then you really do need the largest set you can afford and accommodate.

Each to their own.
Having something like that, which dominates the room, wouldn't be for me. And massive TVs in small rooms aren't extreme examples. Can't remember how many I've seen, and without exception bought simply because they were the largest available at the time of purchase.

And btw...films are my staple watching, not light entertainment, whereas the BIL and family are soaking up reality / (questionable) talent / soap garbage.

Last edited:
Hi Dave, that seems a decent price for that Samsung 49" purchase from J.Lewis, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it once you get it set-up etc...

Cheers;
Peter

It will be with me Monday. Drop a reminder on her Tuesday :)

JL had to bring down the price on that one as Richer Sounds and Currys had dropped theirs. Currys have gone back up a bit.
From my research that seems to be a good one for the money. 5 year guarantee is always nice too.

I have the 49 Samsung as above. We bought it last Xmas and it is very good indeed. The smart playback over our lan is seemless as well.

And I'd also disagree.
Yes.The correct viewing distance of a TV screen is between 4 to 5 times the corner to corner distance of the screen. But this now appears something no one wants to mention,especially the manufactures and retails. Fawltey Towers is just as funny on a 21 inch cathode ray tube as it is on an 80 inch widescreen TV. :LOL:

No it's not, not unless you're only watching a 256x256 resolution screen

For 1080 it 1.5-2.5 times the size and for 4K it is 1-1.5 times.
I don't accept that the resoloution has anything to do with it.Can you explain why the resolution has anyting to do with the correct distance to view any screen from?

I don't accept that the resoloution has anything to do with it.Can you explain why the resolution has anyting to do with the correct distance to view any screen from?

You're into photography and don't know how size and resolution are linked?

Some people will work on how much of the field of view is filled (ideally 30 to 40 degrees) regardless of picture quality - these people are in the minority. Most people sacrifice size to avoid seeing individual pixels - this is why TVs have got bigger as resolutions have improved, because people want a bigger screen as they're no longer limitted by the resolution of the media.

If you're in the latter group and accept the resolution as a limitting factor if the screen is too big for the distance you're viewing from then you'll see the individual pixels. Have a TV that's much too big/sit far too close and the picture will look bad.

Sit too far way / have a screen too small and you lose effective resolution. No point having 4K over SD if you're looking at a postage stamp half a mile away.

Once we start getting beyond 4K resolutions pixelation will no longer be a limitting factor but instead it will be the field of view.

Back