Non UK Advice on NZ trip

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi... I'm intending in spending a month in New Zealand in 2020....

I intend in flying out in July 2020 and hiring a camper van for 4 weeks and touring with my camera.....

Any advice would be gratefully recieved as to companies and websites to hire vans and flights and experiences from like minded adventurers

Is it the right time of year to go???

I'm envious! When I went some years ago I founded flying into Christchurch a good strategy. Not only do you start on the nicer of the two main islands in my opinion, but as most people fly into Auckland all the hire cars end up at Christchurch. Result? Many companies offer special deals on hires that start in Christchurch and end in Auckland, as they'd otherwise have to ferry the vehicles back to Auckland themselves. I got a free ferry crossing from South to North Island.

You'll find a month is far too short. I stayed 6 weeks and still only scrapped the surface.

The South Island can be very cold in July, it’s winter over there. It depends on what you want. (Penguins, glaciers)

July is midwinter which on the south island would give opportunities for NZ snow. NZ is geared up for the great outdoors but heed all the warning signs as treking out to locations will be quite remote. I would recomend a pass over the transalpine from Christchurch to Grey mouth via Arthurs Pass.

Takapo..... Milford sound...... Doubtful sound which i think is better than the more famous milford sound. Wanaka. The Crown ranges road from Queenstown to Wanaka if open at that time of year. Arrowtown. The thermal springs at Hammner springs are brilliant when it's snowing. All are must visit places....... Enjoy the trip it's a brilliant place.

Last edited:
We went to NZ for a month back in 2016. I can't point out the highlights as the entire trip was amazing. Places visited, Kiakoura for whale watching, although we didn't see a single whale. massive earthquake 3 days after we left there. Christchurch is still rebuilding from 2011(?) earthquake Aoraki/Mount Cook National Park with a visit to the Tasmin Glacier, Milford sound, the drive from Te Anua is to Milford sound spectacular as was the boat trip out, make sure you have enough fuel as it's a 150 mile round trip and there were no services that we could see. Fox and Franz Josef glaciers are a must. We hiked on the Franz Josef Glacier which I thought was a great experience and was expensive as a helicopter is required to get you to the glacier and back, also the helicopter pilots require at least a 4 hour window of clear weather so as you can enjoy the hike and get back safely, We spoke to a lot of disappointed people who didn't get to go up due to the very changeable weather. North Island, we visited my in laws who live close to Mt Taranaki, Mrs wanted to go to Hobbiton, White Island to visit an active volcano and so much inbetween. We were told that on the South island it only rains twice a year, once for the first 6 months then again for the 2nd 6 months but we we extremely lucky seeing only two day rain in 30 days. I will once funds allow go back as it is a magical place.

Enterprise for car hire, all adequate, We flew between the island Auckland - Christchurch, food seemed expensive but we were only getting around $1.68 Nz - £1

Last edited:
Back