advice on purchasing a used macbook pro..

Name
john
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,

just after a bit of advice..

I've been offered a used MacBook pro with retina display, 13" mid 2014 model, i7 , 8 GB memory and 512 GB SSD for £780 from a family member. Its in excellent condition.

I think the processor is the Haswell (4th gen)

Is this a good deal?

I'm just not sure how this processor compares to the newer Skylake and Kabylake processors and whether I need anything that powerful.

All I do on the laptop is photo processing really, no gaming. The smaller size is good for portability.

I currently do all my photo developing on a 17" asus laptop (i5, 6GB memory, 1TB SSD, 2011 model). It works well for me at the moment and handles RAW files adequately from my D700 and D7100 (12MP and 24MP respectively)

I know I will need to upgrade at some stage, and was looking at something like a new Dell XPS 15.

Obviously this is a lot more expensive than the MacBook pro I've been offered but would be more future proof.

thanks in advance

JC

That's a decent price for the MBPr 13 and comes from a family member so know the history.

The XPS 15 is a beast and very fast. Have you checked the Dell Outlet store? Usually bargains in there.

With the MBPr 13 it's resale value is a lot higher so could get it and sell in a year or so and not loose too much value.

thanks for the quick response..

yes, its tempting to get the MBP.

I had a quick play with lightroom on it and it seemed nice and fast.

I like the idea of having a retina display also to do photo editing on as my Asus isn't the most colour accurate, but I have learned how to adapt around those issues.

Are you happy with the 13" screen, compared to the 17" on the Asus. I have a 2.3GHz i5 MBP an that works fine with both Lightroom and Photoshop. The price is excellent and the Retina display can be accurately calibrated if you want. As stated Macs tend to hold their price

stick with what you have until it dies 13 screen is a step backwards trust me
better spend your money on a 17 inch mbp fantastic machine i have one

Back