Advice on Schedule one application etc

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought this might be worth asking for two fold reasons,I might get myself a chance shortly at some BOP and it also raises awareness of the fact the some birds have protection that image makers need to be aware of.

For me personally i've known of a site since I've been doing this where they breed. I have little knowledge of what might be asked of me. I would hope I have enough awareness of the birds and field craft to not impinge on my subjects

So any thoughts please advice anything really,obviously I need to read up a bit but thought this is one really worth asking you good folks about as some must have had first hand experience.

Many thanks

stu

They seem to have moved to an online system that doesn't provide much information without registering first. I recall they want to see both a history of successful nest photography for non-schedule 1 and a referrals from previous S1 licence holders. So you need to be friends with someone who has recently held a licence anyway who is prepared to vouch for you, and they'd presumably be able to give insight to the application process..

Edit: the paper version of the application
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...for-a-licence-to-disturb-them-for-photography

Last edited:
In terms of Schedule 1 licence for any Bird of prey this year it may already be too late. For red kite in wales I was asked to put the hide up in the winter before nesting at a site which was used regularly. This meant land owner permission was essential and the site both secluded and away from public gaze. Interference by well meaning or otherwise members of the public(nests are still robbed for both eggs and young) is a real problem which the licensing body will want to be sure you have covered.
I was refused a licence for one peregrine site for this reason but granted at 2 other sites.
Cannot speak for English Nature but CCW as was wanted proof of successful nest photography of species similar to those shed 1 requested e.g. for a Barn owl then they wanted to see successful photos of say Tawny owl or little owl at nest. Blackbirds and blue tits feeding young may not be accepted as evidence of competence when asking for a raptor licence.

The logistics of application and timing means that you may have to apply well before the nesting season for a site or sites where the bird may or may not nest because if you wait until you are sure the bird is nesting then your successful application may not come through in time.

If just starting out with no prior experience of photographing birds at the nest and no referees then starting with non schedule 1 birds is probably the way forward. Little owl,tawny owl,sparrow hawk and kestrel are all non schedule 1 I think and would provide evidence of several different situations e.g. nest in hole in tree (tawny or little owl) nest in rocks e.g. little owl or kestrel, open nest in tree e.g. sparrow hawk.

Barn owl may be the best shed 1 to apply for because the nests are usually in barns which means they are well protected from prying eyes and hide building and acceptance of the hide by the bird is much easier.

Good luck

Regen

Paul thanks for the links the reply and your time great start

Dave,cheers for the expansion,I think i'm going to struggle after reading your words,I have a little owl site/permission etc but have very few images,i've been so focused on the hares this last year and as you know my time is always compressed. The site is Peregrine an active quarry,I want to do every thing right mate not only regarding the letter of the law,but by my subjects too....,well I guess you of all know how much I care,if there was a chance of my affecting them I wouldn't even consider asking. .

Great advice buddy thank you very much ,exactly what I was looking for a bit of advice from someone whom has done this,I might have to sort kez first or LO from your words. This one is quite interesting being an active quarry,it is concievable a hide wouldn't be needed,with buildings etc overlooking the face the use to nest on. Also as I say it's active all manner of noise etc and bods moving about. I sort of smile wryly that the best form of me fitting in might be in hi vis,as the birds know and accept folks dressed in that as a normal part of their day. It's certainly an unusual situation for me personally.It's also ironic that I have connections in the bird world that would probably give me references if asked,but these might also not fit the needs stated above ,i'm sure i have the field craft,skillset
I need permission from the landowner first mate,so haven't really done my homework as yet bar being aware, because if he says no I can't go further. Hence my tentative post here trying to arm myself with the experieces of others. I've known of the site for years now,it's visible at long distance from a country lane and close enough to spend time at even with my hours

Thanks both very useful especially the elaboration Dave !!

stu

Back