Advice on skin shine

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
_DSC4477 by Paul Whiteman, on Flickr

I have quite a number of photos of Sarah, all with a bit of skin shine, particularly on the chin.
There was one key light in an octobox, camera right at 4 o'clock, about 45 deg up.
It looks as though I should have had the power slightly less.

Any ideas on the best way to remove / reduce the glare. I have tried the healing brush in lightroom, and that does a fairly good job, but not perfect.

Paul

Nothing wrong with the lighting in general, some peoples skin shines more than others, a touch of face powder works easily enough to resolve spectral highlights.
It is much the same problem as lighting polished metal. And the same methods will sove it like using soft reflected light, however the more interesting lighting like you have used. Not only gives good modeling and texture but also emphasises shine.
You have probably noticed make up girls on TV rushing up and dabbing powder on with a brush onto guests faces... it does solve the shine problem. And done in moderation is invisible.

Thanks Terry
That was very much what I thought. Sarah is someone that uses verey minimal makeup, but has a very infectious smile.
Despite both a new portrait photographer and a new model, she did exceptionally well
I could use portrait pro but that gives an artificial effect a face like Sarah's and not the effect I am looking for
Paul

Might be worth a try with the brush in lightroom set to automask and 50% flow, and then carefully clicking on the bright spots only. There's a highlight fix preset for the brush, and you could roll off clarity a little too.

As above, it’s not your light that’s at fault*, you need a little makeup to remove the shine.

Portrait Pro is a PoS, but if you dial it down, you might be surprised it can actually produce decent results - just that out of the box it’s a bit of an OTT Instagram tool. You can achieve the same results in PS in a number of ways, unfortunately it takes practice (I say that - I bought some actions from Jeff Adcough years ago that cut a lot of the learning out of my PS work).

*though my default would be closer and higher - it’s not in any way ‘bad’

Last edited:
As above, it’s not your light that’s at fault*, you need a little makeup to remove the shine.

Portrait Pro is a PoS, but if you dial it down, you might be surprised it can actually produce decent results - just that out of the box it’s a bit of an OTT Instagram tool. You can achieve the same results in PS in a number of ways, unfortunately it takes practice (I say that - I bought some actions from Jeff Adcough years ago that cut a lot of the learning out of my PS work).

*though my default would be closer and higher - it’s not in any way ‘bad’

Thanks Phil
Key light was about as high as I could get it! Will definitely try closer though, possibly using a beauty dish instead of octobox which would give a bit more height
I am a PS novice, but now might be the time to practise some more

A little touch of frequency separation in PS

...View attachment 141174

Thanks Steven
Back to youtube for some more learning!
Next time I will get her to try a bit more makeup - I prefer to get most things right in camera, rather than spending a lot of time processing afterwards

Paul

Thanks Phil
Key light was about as high as I could get it! Will definitely try closer though, possibly using a beauty dish instead of octobox which would give a bit more height
I am a PS novice, but now might be the time to practise some more
Don’t use a BD on Sarah, unless you put a sock on it to use as a softbox. It’ll not be flattering.
If you can’t raise the light, you can always lower the subject (same result).

_DSC4477 by Paul Whiteman, on Flickr

I have quite a number of photos of Sarah, all with a bit of skin shine, particularly on the chin.
There was one key light in an octobox, camera right at 4 o'clock, about 45 deg up.
It looks as though I should have had the power slightly less.

Any ideas on the best way to remove / reduce the glare. I have tried the healing brush in lightroom, and that does a fairly good job, but not perfect.

Paul

removed my contribution from my flikr....its not my shot and i thought best to remove it
sorry

a shiner 1 by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

i havent a healing brush but it may be similar to my clone tool where i used 10% and softly blended the chin and her right lower jaw, fore head etc
i took out the un-necessary ear stud...shined some of the hair and some tones over the necklace and bodice to accentuate the necklace...and took out the highlights on the teeth and root of eye
its exactly what i would do for my daughter as well so was aware..i hope not offending or ruining the shot
cheers
geof
ps i think as mentioned the lighting must have been right

Last edited:
Back