Aerial Ironbridge, River Severn and Ironbridge Powerstation in one image

Superb, well done!
Thanks Tim :) Im hoping to pop to Ironbridge early in the morning, get at least 50 metres away from the bridge and get some photos with the drone from the middle of the river and some other angles of the town that most people dont get to see :) (without breaking the law of course)

Not a bad image from a drone, I wouldn't have expected that good, ( I was wondering how you got it until scrolling down :) ).

Not a bad image from a drone, I wouldn't have expected that good, ( I was wondering how you got it until scrolling down :) ).
It's got a gimbal on there gramps so nice and steady even in wind. It's only 14 megapixel and no aperture control unfortunately but you get what you pays I guess. Still, I couldn't get that image normally so it's pretty unique. Can't wait to try it in the north Wales mountains should be a able to get a stunning view

Carl I'm thinking about getting a drone , I love that picture you got there so could you give me some info on your setup or point me to a post if you have it online already :)
I got it from Quadcopters co uk, its a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus V3, I purchased the hard case for it as well so all in, with spare Lipo battery (that goes into the drone itself) came to £1150, comes with a 4gb mini-sd card, but I purchased 2 32GB ones from mymemory so I didnt have to worry about running out of memory taking images.

Photos are RAW DNG so you can pop them into camera raw and make a lot of adjustments. I use my Galaxy S4 phone in the built-in phone holder (which is really cool) and run the free software to see what the camera sees. It also has a compass built into it so you can tell which direction your drone is face from you. Make sure you do a few practice runs in a wide open field, no cables/pylons and no people so you can concentrate. Try not to do it on a windy day either. Also, since its self-stabilising you dont have to worry about doing smooth flying as such, I use mine just for photos not video, so I literally move it into position, rotate, look through the camera, adjust my visual height on the camera and take a pic. You can control ISO with it, which is handy and there is a camera lens correction filter that goes into photoshop (without installation) so you select it and things dont seem so fish-eye then, though depending on how near you are to an object, you may need to do some additional lens correction if you dont want bendy-building and a curved horizon. All in all, its very simple, the "return-to-home" functionality works a treat, it will fly back to where it took off automatically via some defaults i.e. battery level runs to 50% or if you lose remote capability which is very handy, save you losing your drone.

There is 25 minutes fly time per charged Lipo battery, though at 50% return to home, you're more like 12 or 13 minutes, that for me, is plenty of time to shoot it up in the air, get it into position, take a photograph, maybe adjust composition, height etc.. and grab a few more snaps.

Definitely get the case, its £150 but its better than putting it in the boot or somewhere where the kids will get hold of it and break it. Its foam covered inside, nice and strong. The copter comes with spare propellor blades too, but they're only about £12 a pair to replace (takes 4) . For the price its great, if you want to slap your DSLR on there, then you're talking more money for something more powerful, but for what it is, cant fault it. You can always go for the non-Vision plus, which means you dont get a camera, but then you're forking out for a gimbal and Go Pro Hero 4 (go for the black edition, its better). Works out around the same price, but GP doesnt do raw ;)

Thanks for the info Carl , very helpful :)

There is also a current Spring Sale on the DJI Range. I've got the Phantom 2 that has a GoPro Hero 4 Black hanging from it, and a DJI Inspire 1, which really is the next level up from the Phantoms. I got the Phantom from RCGeeks (a professional build so no needs to any work yourself) and the Inspire from Firstpersonview. Excellent service from both companies.
Like Carl, I'd recommend getting a hard case for the Phantom. The Inspire comes with a hard case.
I've created a thread here where I hope that people can show some of their stuff.

I see drones are set to be banned from Holyrood park in Edinburgh...................no doubt more areas will follow

Back