Affinity Focus Stacking

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I've just been watching a few You Tube videos on Focus Stacking (Focus Merge) in Affinity Photo, and I fancy giving it a go.
I've followed the videos and written down the process.
Can the software do the merge procedure using RAW images (Canon CR2), - or do all the images have to be jpeg?
Many thanks for experienced user answers.

I have used affinity to stack raw but also jpeg’s
There is an example in a post of mine in another forum:

There are lots of other equally tedious posts by myself on this subject in the same forum.

The only other merging software I tried is the freebie picolay software - lots of options but I never got it to work as well as affinity - if you use the clone tool.

Would like to try Helicon or Zerene but they cost an arm and a leg.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, I see: I wondered which 'Persona' allowed the merge process and wether RAW had to be converted first.

Ah, I see: I wondered which 'Persona' allowed the merge process and wether RAW had to be converted first.

just to step in - it’s in the photo persona

if you open affinity the from the top menu ( on mac )
file > new focus merge

then you link to the folder where your images are ( all raw or all jpeg is best ) by hitting “add”

select the photos
the ok
and away you go

in my experience, best to try first with a small number of images first < 10 say. It will do more but it gets messy trying to clean things up

Many thanks again, - that's the process I scribbled down during the You Tube vid.
As you say, the vid mentioned selecting the best image from 'Sources' to remove specular highlights, if it gets too messy.
Now I've got some answers and a bit of confidence, I'll give it a go.

Back