Affinity Photo & Lightroom 6, Plug-in ?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I have been looking to get Affinity Photo instead of subscribing to to Adobe to get Photoshop. But, can Affinity be used as a plug-in to Lightroom in the same way Luminor ? I couldn't use Luminor because of the openGL problem as my computer has no openGL, does Affinity Photo require openGL ?
I apologise if this is obvious but I have tried looking through previous posts and on other sites but there is so much information I cannot see the wood for the trees !
Thanks for any info.
Andy

Last edited:
can Affinity be used as a plug-in to Lightroom

Affinity Photo can open a RAW file (no batch processing!) but
will only save the changes in any other format than RAW since
this format may not be altered in any way.

From my RAW converter, I will publish a jpg that can be opened
in AP and than save the changes. Changes applied in AP to the
RAW file will only be recognised, when back in the converter, in
a format other than RAW. The same applies to Lr. HTH.

Last edited:
From what I can see no Affinity does not require openGL....

Affinity will work as an external editor to lightroom,(The same as Photoshop) not as a plug-in.

Maybe the best thing to do is to download the demo and try things out....

Daniel (Kodiak Qc above) uses Affinity Photo instead of Photoshop I believe and is probably a go to on the software...

You could have a look at this:

I understood, Graham, that the OP wants to use as
plug-in and not simply as external editor!

Yes, but in practice, as Affinity saves he file back to Lightroom (according to the link I posted), it works like a Plugin.

Unless I misunderstand what makes a plugin a plugin, which is always possible :-(

Affinity Photo will only work as an external editor with Lightroom. It can't be used as a plug-in...

Yes, this is what I was trying to express in my post!

Affinity Photo will only work as an external editor with Lightroom. It can't be used as a plug-in...

What makes a plugin a plugin. I thought it was the round tripping aspect of it, ie saving the file back into Lightroom, which affinity photo as an external editor does, at least that is what the link suggests.

And this is how it works with Capture One as well.

… it works like a Plugin.(

A plug-in, Graham, works within a host application and the
applied processing with be on a layer in the layers panel of
the said host.

The external editor MUST save the file to make it's work avai-
lable and, therefore, it can't be applied to a RAW file.

the said host.

Ok, I didn't realise Plugins worked with raw files. But still not sure how this works with Lightroom, as it doesn't have layers.

They don't buddy!
the said host.

OK, I'm more confused now, I thought that your earlier post was saying that difference between a plugin and an external editor was that the external editor couldn't be used with the RAW file, and by implication that a plugin could (through the use of layers).

by implication that a plugin could (through the use of layers).

I did not express myself correctly then… sorry! :(:banghead:

Even in the layer panel, the plug-in effects will apply to anything BUT RAW!
That needs more explanations.
RAWs are untouchables! :cool:

What makes a plugin a plugin. I thought it was the round tripping aspect of it, ie saving the file back into Lightroom, which affinity photo as an external editor does, at least that is what the link suggests.

And this is how it works with Capture One as well.
It is all very similar with the round trip, a plug-in generally works within the host application to fullfil an targeted task, an external editor is a stand alone application that will allow more extensive editing. The boundaries do get Very blurred with some recent apps which will integrate as a plug-in but also be available as a stand alone. Layers obviously have no relevance in lightroom and both options use a rasterised file.

It is all very similar with the round trip, a plug-in generally works within the host application to fullfil an targeted task, an external editor is a stand alone application that will allow more extensive editing. The boundaries do get Very blurred with some recent apps which will integrate as a plug-in but also be available as a stand alone. Layers obviously have no relevance in lightroom and both options use a rasterised file.

One day, I will be able to express myself that way in english! :D

Last edited:

Yes, the "blurred aspect" has been my experience, hence me pointing the OP towards the blog post, because it mentioned round tripping to AP, even though it was working as an external editor.

My experience with using Plugins with LR and the same plugins as external programs round tripped from Capture One, seem to give a very similar working experience.

Have been using Affinity Photo trial for three days now and I am quite impressed by it. I can open raw files, do an immense amount to them and save them in a multitude of forms too. So far so good !

Back