Affinity Photo on IPAD and desktop

Edit My Images
No
Appreciate that I recently posted a question concerning LR Classic/CC and an IPAD Pro. Many helpful replies, but I'm still struggling.
I remain uncomfortable having to pay a subscription (I still have LR 6 standalone which is good enough for me) and am uncomfortable with the thought of uploading photos, etc (very, very old school!!!)
I'm looking at other options now. Would anyone have any first hand experience of running Affinity on both an IPAD Pro and desktop and the practicalities (or otherwise) of switching workflow between the two?
In particular, I'm having difficulty finding out exactly how Affinity works in so far as edits are concerned.
Clearly not the same as a LR catalogue. Also can't get my head round whether the edits are destructive or not.
Thanks

I have both. It works great. Different way of thinking to LR or PS but you'll learn how to change to the processing proceedures on affinity in time.
Thanks Andrew.
Like Ned, I would also appreciate knowing if the 2 copies sync in any way or if they are totally separate.
Also, what format does Affinity use for storing the edits?
If you move edited images between Pc and IPAD, how do you actually move your images/files between the two devices?
Thanks
Stuart

Like Andrew said. I use Dropbox to share files and folders between laptop and desktop. However if I were likely to be sharing files whilst travelling, I think I'd sync the cloud storage with a small portable hard disk to avoid the loss of signal and bandwidth issues whilst travelling.

I personally use OneDrive. Drag and drop from memory card to OneDrive folder and back. Files saved in unique affinity file format. Can then be saved as jpeg etc for printing or when editing is complete.
Thanks Andrew. Is the unique Affinity file format a "sidecar" type file, or does it change the RAW?
Thanks
Stuart

Like Andrew said. I use Dropbox to share files and folders between laptop and desktop. However if I were likely to be sharing files whilst travelling, I think I'd sync the cloud storage with a small portable hard disk to avoid the loss of signal and bandwidth issues whilst travelling.
Thanks for the reply. Have downloadd a trial for the desktop version and hope to start using it over the weekend. Just a bit concerned how big the affinity file format is. For example, if I'm dealing with (say) a 15mb raw, what type/size of file might I generate if undertaking some very simple exposure changes, highlights/shadows, contrast, sharpening and some noise reduction?

started using the trial version of Affinity on my PC, having watched numerous instruction videos, etc. to me, it is a sort of cross between two of the products I own, LR and Elements, but without the DAM.
What I cannot get my head round though, is the increase in file size when undertaking any actions.
Even a very simple RAW conversion can result in creation of a special affinity file (see post 5 above) 7 or 8 times the size of the RAW. This is without any layers/masks etc.
Anyone else using this software have any ideas what I'm doing wrong or is this just the way that it works?
Thanks

I never save files in Affinity Photo. I export the files instead, to either tiff or jpg format. That way, Lightroom can continue to use them if only for the cataloguing.

Last edited:
I've just bought affinity after using the trial a couple of times andaI really like it. I too export the images instead of saving as an affinity file

Back