Affinity

Edit My Images
No
does Affinity have layers ? Masks ? how good is the content aware tool ?

does Affinity have layers ? Masks ? how good is the content aware tool ?

Go for it, I've been using it for quite some time
now and with great pleasure.

Kodi, What type of file do you input to affinity from C1?

Here's my workflow…

1. Copy the shoot folder to desktop
  2. Open C1 session and browse to shoot folder
  3. Process images
  4. Publish JPGs in a new client folder
  5. Open Affinity and edit as necessary
Affinity will save the edited files in same folder.

Hope that helps.

was wondering if you used jpeg or tiff

In my book, today's softwares quality hardly justify the
use of TIFFs that is still recommendable in photocom-
position where the four layers in CMYK might be requi-
red. TIFFs will soon be obsolete because of progress.

In my book, today's softwares quality hardly justify the
use of TIFFs that is still recommendable in photocom-
position where the four layers in CMYK might be requi-
red. TIFFs will soon be obsolete because of progress.

Regardless of "progress" jpg remains a lossy compression format which means that every time you open, edit and save the image the quality gets progressively worse. TIF is a lossless compression format so you can open and save as many times as you like and you will never loose image quality.

jpg remains

Yes, you're right of course…
but the future of jpeg is not pinky either! I am aware
that many teams around the world are working on a
new "modern" set of file formats that, so they say, will
standardize and simplify all pipelines.

Kodi
What type of file do you input to affinity from C1?
I did something different to Kodiak, so as an alternative approach:

What I was doing was using the "edit with" option in C1 to send a PSD direct to Affinity from C1. If you do this, C1 creates a PSD in the C1 catalogue, and then opens it in Affinity. Saving in Affinity after editing, takes you back to C1 where you can carry on editing in C1. You need to set up a preference in Affinity Photo to default to re-saving as PSD.

You can then reopen the PSD in Affinity from C1 for further editing if you need to. It didn't work with TIFs because Affinity Photo wants you to use "save as" with a TIF, which messed up the workflow.

I say "did" because I have gone back to Photoshop (PS is faster on my slightly underpowered Mac, and its the same workflow)

This allows you to keep everything in a C1 catalogue and run Affinity like a Plugin from C1.

Regardless of "progress" jpg remains a lossy compression format which means that every time you open, edit and save the image the quality gets progressively worse. TIF is a lossless compression format so you can open and save as many times as you like and you will never loose image quality.
I agree with what you are saying about lossy jpeg, but whilst I try to keep to 16-bit TIFF as long as possible, I think this "opening and re-saving jpeg" thing is a bit overstated, and something that very few people do anyway.
OK, if your camera is jpeg only, then it may be necessary, but have you ever tried opening and re-saving a good quality jpeg ten times and compared the quality?
There's much less loss than you might expect.

…and something that very few people do anyway.

Not so sure, Brian!

Even here, some folks will convert RAWs in an app,
edit it in an other, to apply effects in some other(s)
and every time saving it. Then deciding for some last
adjustments… It all has a cost!

I agree with what you are saying about lossy jpeg, but whilst I try to keep to 16-bit TIFF as long as possible, I think this "opening and re-saving jpeg" thing is a bit overstated, and something that very few people do anyway.
OK, if your camera is jpeg only, then it may be necessary, but have you ever tried opening and re-saving a good quality jpeg ten times and compared the quality?
There's much less loss than you might expect.
when you say open, you dont mean open to view it do you?

when you say open, you dont mean open to view it do you?
No. I meant open to edit.
You don't even need to edit, just "Save as" (at high quality.)
Do it ten times and (provided the original ws decent) the tenth iteration shows only a little degradation.

Last edited:
you can use your RAW files in Affinity no need to open them in another software just open them in Affinity

Not seem
Does anyone know if there ever any special offers on AffinityPhoto? I know it's very affordable but I'm in no rush so I can wait a few months.

I've looked at the current free software offer but it doesn't interest me,.

Not seen any for a while, are you on a mac or pc, if mac keep and eye out for any itunes gift card offers and buy with that.

Seems pretty obvious to me, except I don't use Affinity as a raw developer, I prefer the results from Lightroom, which also has a full library of automatic or manual lens adjustemnts.

Well, it did to me as well, which is why I doubted my interpretation. I've not used AP for Raw processing either, but in my case the Raw is processed in Capture One.

I've not used AP for Raw processing either, but in my case the Raw is processed in Capture One.

:plus1:

Affinity is a crazy good pixel editor. Adding the raw
conversion is ok if one wants to work only ONE file.

Capture One remains my converter of choice and
Affinity the pixel editor when needed.

Seems pretty obvious to me, except I don't use Affinity as a raw developer, I prefer the results from Lightroom, which also has a full library of automatic or manual lens adjustemnts.
thanks for that, i might start using affinity again then, cheers

I am thinking of stopping Lightroom as fed up paying it subscription and not using it as much as I like..

Thinking of getting this just a shame we can't organise the images without his editor..

… thinking of stopping Lightroom…

Get this right before any move, Andrew!
  1. Affinity is far from the RAW conversion capability of Lr…
    — not in terms of quality but volume — or productivity.
  2. Why do you want to organize your files with a software
    catalogues that may be corrupted anyway?
  3. To be adobe free you will need a RAW converter (I use
    Capture One but there are others) and a pixel editor (I
    use Affinity Photo).

I am thinking of stopping Lightroom as fed up paying it subscription and not using it as much as I like..

Thinking of getting this just a shame we can't organise the images without his editor..
if you dont do a lot of PP then why not use AFP. and Apple photo for your organiser, you can take the raw directly into Apple photo then edit with AFP from within apple Photos. at least I do anyway but
it might work for you also

Last edited:
Me and the wife have Adobe CC on a monthly payment, but don't use it anywhere near enough to buy again when our plan ends, so thinking of the switch as its a one off payment, does Affinity update to the latest when there is an update or do you have to pay again.

Me and the wife have Adobe CC on a monthly payment, but don't use it anywhere near enough to buy again when our plan ends, so thinking of the switch as its a one off payment, does Affinity update to the latest when there is an update or do you have to pay again.

You'll get minor updates for free, but assume there will be an additional payment to Affinity version 2.x, 3.x etc as with most software

Well, I thought I'd try Affinity for the first time and immediately came across my first problem.

From Lightroom, I went

Photo>Edit in.....and Affinity does not appear in the list of possible editors. I then click

Edit in other possible applications>Preferences>Additional External editor>Custom

And Affinity doesn't appear in that list either.

How do I get Lightroom to find Affinity?

Last edited:
No, that's the thing.

Well… I'm completely dépassé when it comes to Lr since
I'm adobe free and I know not much of windows, sorry! :cool:

Back