Non UK Africa Advice

Name
peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Quick basic reasoning I go on a main ish holiday by myself once a year due to my hobby (Air rifle competition shooting) My Mrs wont fly anywhere (terrified)
I Doubt I will be able to travel to Africa again so would like to do as much as possible as will be my only chance.
august 19th (wed) -23rd (sun) 2020 is the Air rifle Field Targets worlds in South Africa about 50 miles out of Johannesburg.
I plan to take a night flight out on 14th (fri) so arrive early morning 15th (sat)

I am not well off I travel on a budget but like to try and do a lot lol
I would like to pop to Cape town for probably 2 days to see table mountain and do a day wine tour. (I plan to fly there from Johannesburg)
I was thinking maybe 17th and 18th in Cape town

The following is where i require advice as the best way of doing it etc.
I definitely would like to see Victoria falls and I would also like to do a Safari somewhere on a budget.
I do not mind jumping to another country as long as i can fly home from there and the safari is ideally no more than £400.
I plan to fly with BA so wherever I end up really needs to do return flights with BA

I would really need to head home on the 30th (sun) so for the above I would have 24th (mon)-30th (sun) theoretically I could depart the from the shoot 23rd (sun) evening.

Last edited:
Cannot talk about Cape Town.

As far as I can see your event is near Rustenburg, north of Jo'burg.
If you have a car consider:
Pilanesberg National Park - about 100km north
https://www.pilanesbergnationalpark.org/

Lanseria Lion Park - about 60km east
http://www.lionandsafaripark.com/

Have done both in company pool car from north Jo'burg as easy trips - first in September 2003 and then again in April 2006.

Winters in RSA can be very dry so won't see much water. You are going in late winter.
[You should check re Victoria Falls nearer the time. Apparently little water at moment.]
My photos from 2003 trip are on Flickr. Lanseria is at end. They are scanned slides.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenbarley/albums/72157644289110131

Ken

Last edited:
Pilanesberg is a good call and an easy drive from Jozi, but I'm pretty sure the old Lanseria Lion Park closed a few years ago after a fatal incident. The park cited in the previous post is the Lion & Safari Park in Broederstroom, near Hartebeestpoortdam, which is about 45 minutes drive from Jozi.

August is late winter in SA and Cape Town is in the winter rainfall zone, so it can be cold, wet and windy. Just check the local weather forecasts before you go and plan accordingly, and take a warm/waterproof jacket. It's not a big deal compared with a UK winter. Jozi will be starting to warm up as Spring approaches (September) but there shouldn't be any rain.

Check online for Vic Falls packages from Jozi. There are lots of deals including flights, transfers and accommodation; and some of them throw in a sunset booze cruise on the Zambezi. Personally though, I wouldn't book anything until much closer to the time when you want to go. Zim seems to be sliding back into economic catastrophe and it would probably be wise to wait and see how things go.

Enjoy yourself. Southern Africa is wonderful!

Last edited:
Cannot talk about Cape Town.

As far as I can see your event is near Rustenburg, north of Jo'burg.
If you have a car consider:
Pilanesberg National Park - about 100km north
https://www.pilanesbergnationalpark.org/

Lanseria Lion Park - about 60km east
http://www.lionandsafaripark.com/

Have done both in company pool car from north Jo'burg as easy trips - first in September 2003 and then again in April 2006.

Winters in RSA can be very dry so won't see much water. You are going in late winter.
[You should check re Victoria Falls nearer the time. Apparently little water at moment.]
My photos from 2003 trip are on Flickr. Lanseria is at end. They are scanned slides.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kenbarley/albums/72157644289110131

Ken
Hi Ken
Thank you for your reply.
Did you just turn up and do a day trip or book a safari?
I have just been looking at pilanesberg and seen you can book safaris or turn up on the day for game drives about £35 if I’m reading it right for a 2.5 hr game drive.
Am I best hiring a car to get about or is there good public transport and taxi’s.
Thanks
Peter

Last edited:
Pilanesberg is a good call and an easy drive from Jozi, but I'm pretty sure the old Lanseria Lion Park closed a few years ago after a fatal incident. The park cited in the previous post is the Lion & Safari Park in Broederstroom, near Hartebeestpoortdam, which is about 45 minutes drive from Jozi.

August is late winter in SA and Cape Town is in the winter rainfall zone, so it can be cold, wet and windy. Just check the local weather forecasts before you go and plan accordingly, and take a warm/waterproof jacket. It's not a big deal compared with a UK winter. Jozi will be starting to warm up as Spring approaches (September) but there shouldn't be any rain.

Check online for Vic Falls packages from Jozi. There are lots of deals including flights, transfers and accommodation; and some of them throw in a sunset booze cruise on the Zambezi. Personally though, I wouldn't book anything until much closer to the time when you want to go. Zim seems to be sliding back into economic catastrophe and it would probably be wise to wait and see how things go.

Enjoy yourself. Southern Africa is wonderful!
Hi Martyn
Thank you for that I have just checked and pilanesberg is only about 50 km from where I am staying in the 1st week so that looks ideal.
after looking at the website I am thinking I could just turn up there for daily game drives as I require.
Will definitely have a look at the Victoria fall packages I had not even thought of that just thought of booking my flights and taking myself round.
Thanks
Peter

Nobody says you have to go to the Zim side of Vic Falls - when I went, I travelled to the Zambian side (I did cross, in the height of the 2009 variant of the Zim car crash and had a beer that cost me $147,000,000 - about 35p)

Nobody says you have to go to the Zim side of Vic Falls - when I went, I travelled to the Zambian side (I did cross, in the height of the 2009 variant of the Zim car crash and had a beer that cost me $147,000,000 - about 35p)
i Would think if I don’t do a tour and do it myself Zimbabwe side would be easier as Victoria falls town is only a stones throw compared to livingstone. ?
Airport transfers and everything appear to be much simpler and quicker on the Zimbabwe side?

HI Peter
Sorry about mis-information about Lanseria. Hadn't realised it was gone.
However remembering the rather cavalier approach to H&S I can believe it.

Back story on my Pilanesberg trips. Staying in Sandton, north of Jo'burg, on business, and had weekend free.
Also had the pool car and a company petrol card, so just drove up there. Didn't do anything organised - just drove around.
I'd had a number of business trips to Kenya in the couple of years before, so I did have a reasonable idea how to go about it...
In your case it may be a good idea to do something organised. Taking back a rental car in the filthy state the pool car was in could be pricey!

As Martyn says weather in Cape Town is very different. They are 1400km - 2 hours flying time apart. Further than London to Naples!
Jo'Burg
https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-precipitation-Rainfall,johannesburg,South-Africa
Cape Town
https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine,Cape_Town,South-Africa

Ken

HI Peter
Sorry about mis-information about Lanseria. Hadn't realised it was gone.
However remembering the rather cavalier approach to H&S I can believe it.

Back story on my Pilanesberg trips. Staying in Sandton, north of Jo'burg, on business, and had weekend free.
Also had the pool car and a company petrol card, so just drove up there. Didn't do anything organised - just drove around.
I'd had a number of business trips to Kenya in the couple of years before, so I did have a reasonable idea how to go about it...
In your case it may be a good idea to do something organised. Taking back a rental car in the filthy state the pool car was in could be pricey!

As Martyn says weather in Cape Town is very different. They are 1400km - 2 hours flying time apart. Further than London to Naples!
Jo'Burg
https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-precipitation-Rainfall,johannesburg,South-Africa
Cape Town
https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-Rainfall-Temperature-Sunshine,Cape_Town,South-Africa

Ken
Thank you :)
I think looking at it driving to Pilanesberg and doing some paid game drives may be the best option for me. Much cheaper than paying for a safari only about £35 For a 2.5hr game drive and I have accommodation only 50k away on the 1st week and a few days free.

so then I am now thinking 2-3 days in Cape Town and 3-4 at Victoria falls does that sound about right for time useage?
I will be flying to Cape Town and Victoria falls so no car with me then.
Cape Town I really just would like to do table mountain and I want to do one of the day vineyard tours.

Hi Peter
May be good idea checking whether any restriction by rental companies on taking vehicles into Pilanesberg first.
A lot of the roads are dirt.
And it will need cleaning inside and out afterwards.
If OK, go for it and spend a whole day there.
You'll need to fill up the car outside the park as minimal facilities inside.

For info, I checked my old notes and most of the Pilanesberg shots were taken with a Sigma 170-500 +beanbag on 35mm film.
Don't remember what the temperatures where, but my water bottle got damned hot!

A random though. Unless your flights are already booked consider London - Cape Town as one of your flights.
No recommendation on time for Cape Town or Victoria Falls as not been to either.

Ken

Hi Peter
May be good idea checking whether any restriction by rental companies on taking vehicles into Pilanesberg first.
A lot of the roads are dirt.
And it will need cleaning inside and out afterwards.
If OK, go for it and spend a whole day there.
You'll need to fill up the car outside the park as minimal facilities inside.

For info, I checked my old notes and most of the Pilanesberg shots were taken with a Sigma 170-500 +beanbag on 35mm film.
Don't remember what the temperatures where, but my water bottle got damned hot!

A random though. Unless your flights are already booked consider London - Cape Town as one of your flights.
No recommendation on time for Cape Town or Victoria Falls as not been to either.

Ken
Hi Ken
Sorry if not clear enough I mean drive to pilanesberg in my hire car then pay to go in one of there tour vehicles for a game drive.
I would probably have 2 bodies with me in SA my D800 (unless upgraded) and my D500.
Lens choices I think I will probably be taking the 70-200 200-500 and 16-28 with me.

i Would think if I don’t do a tour and do it myself Zimbabwe side would be easier as Victoria falls town is only a stones throw compared to livingstone. ?
Airport transfers and everything appear to be much simpler and quicker on the Zimbabwe side?
Livingstone is like 5km from the falls... It's Africa so most times given can be quite elastic :)

Either way, don't restrict yourself to one side of the river, entry visa (KAZA) is available at the border and costs washers compared to getting there.

Politically Zambia is considerably more stable than Zim - which was definitely a consideration for me in 2009. The people are fabulously welcoming on both sides, the passport control, customs & security forces - markedly different.

Hi Ken
Sorry if not clear enough I mean drive to pilanesberg in my hire car then pay to go in one of there tour vehicles for a game drive.
I would probably have 2 bodies with me in SA my D800 (unless upgraded) and my D500.
Lens choices I think I will probably be taking the 70-200 200-500 and 16-28 with me.

Don't think they did game drives when I was there.
Looking at the website the game drive is 2.5 hours which is not bad for £35. May be better to do a morning one as animals sleeping in afternoon.
Suspect you would have to decide on the day which body to put which lens on. With the dust you are not going to change!
Don't think you will have a lot of use for the 16-28 though.

Ken

Don't think they did game drives when I was there.
Looking at the website the game drive is 2.5 hours which is not bad for £35. May be better to do a morning one as animals sleeping in afternoon.
Suspect you would have to decide on the day which body to put which lens on. With the dust you are not going to change!
Don't think you will have a lot of use for the 16-28 though.

Ken
Thanks Ken the 16-28 will be useful for the shooting comp hence why i will have it with me.
probably useful when i go to Victoria falls too :)
I will have to decide as you say which way round to have the cameras or buy myself a D850 to replace the D800 before i go :D

Last edited:
Thank you :)
I think looking at it driving to Pilanesberg and doing some paid game drives may be the best option for me. Much cheaper than paying for a safari only about £35 For a 2.5hr game drive and I have accommodation only 50k away on the 1st week and a few days free.

I agree with this. Driving to Pilanesberg and taking a game drive gets around the issue of hire car insurance and dirt/gravel roads. You'll also have a guide, so you may see more during the drive because he/she will point things out as you go.

...so then I am now thinking 2-3 days in Cape Town and 3-4 at Victoria falls does that sound about right for time useage?
2 - 3 days in CT sounds fine, but you really don't need 3 - 4 days at Vic Falls. 2 - 3 days is plenty, but check out the deals I mentioned earlier. They'll organise everything for you.

Cape Town I really just would like to do table mountain and I want to do one of the day vineyard tours.

Do you just want to see Table Mountain, or do you want to go up to the top? The best view, and the only one that gives you the classic view of the whole 'flat' mountain with Lions Head to the right, is from Bloubergstrand (Blue mountain beach in Afrikaans). This is a suburb about 20 kms from CT city centre. There are buses, or you can get Uber or a taxi. If you want to go up the mountain, you can hike - I strongly recommend going with a guide - or take the cable car which is a lot easier! You need to get to the lower cable station which is on a bus route, or get Uber or a taxi again. There's also a hop on/off city bus tour which includes this stop, and you buy a day ticket for it.

I haven't done a vineyard tour for donkey's years, but they're all online. Most of them offer lunch and wine too.

Post any other questions you may have, and I'll try to answer.

I agree with this. Driving to Pilanesberg and taking a game drive gets around the issue of hire car insurance and dirt/gravel roads. You'll also have a guide, so you may see more during the drive because he/she will point things out as you go.

I had a look at the victoria falls packages and they were about £1000 including flights of £650 not including flights
I can do it myself a lot cheaper than that as the flights are about £220 and accommodation 20-50 a night depending what level you opt for.

Apologies, I've been busy.

£1,000 is roughly ZAR 19,000 which seems extremely expensive. The last time I looked at tours from Jhb was a few months ago, and I saw seeing offers starting around ZAR 5,000 - 8,500 including flights, accommodation and some meals.

Apologies, I've been busy.

£1,000 is roughly ZAR 19,000 which seems extremely expensive. The last time I looked at tours from Jhb was a few months ago, and I saw seeing offers starting around ZAR 5,000 - 8,500 including flights, accommodation and some meals.

maybe I am finding tours in the wrong places :(
all the ones I found were priced in £ or $

Well after everything considered I have had to change my plans somewhat.
I am flying out as said on the 14th August to arrive 15th but now coming back earlier on 28th to get back for 29th as the 30th is my godsons 18th
that gives me Sunday 16th-18th (Tues) to do a Pilanesberg Morning game drive and time to pop to Hartlespoort dam I think there is a lion park there also and various other bits.
and perhaps a day trip to cape town fly 6am to get there just after 8 and fly back 8pm (does that sound feasible or pointless)
for me cape town is just a curiosity nothing more to say ive been there and seen table mountain etc..
so next after the comp fly to Victoria falls Monday 24th morning little look around scout the place etc.
Tuesday day trip to Botswana to safari at Chobe etc.
Wednesday See the Falls (Both sides) maybe some other small activites evening dinner and cruise on the Zambezi.
Thursday have a look round Victoria falls town and the market etc. Maybe a elephant experience or something.

Hi Peter, I think you are being very ambitious with Vic Falls. Feels like you will rushing around and not taking it all in.
If you fly from JNB to VFA, you will be looking at approx. £250 - £375 return with Comair and about 90 minutes flight. Zimbabwe is US dollars, so you'll be looking at $55 for the Zimbabwe visa. Then the taxi to the town which is about 90 minutes. The Vic Falls is about a 20 minute walk from the town if you stay near the bridge end with the fee for Vic Falls I think was $35 and that's per entry. You cant get into the park before sunrise as its gated. (Unless you know someone or somehow to get there). I can only speak from my experience. You don't need to do a tour in the falls itself as its pretty easy to get around unless you want to. I would suggest having a chat with someone like Expert Africa and seeing what they can do for a budget. I've been with them three times, and yes not cheap, but it was hassle and stress free. Worth a try although Zim isn't cheap compared with SA and I'm sure you could get a better deal there. If want any help with the viewpoints at Vic Falls give us a shout.

Whatever the cost, the Victoria Falls is worth it. The rainy season in that part of Africa usually starts in mid-November, but I understand it has been less reliable in recent years.
It has been a long time since I was there (Zambian side, 1975), but the memories never leave, it is such a spectacular sight.

Hi Peter, I think you are being very ambitious with Vic Falls. Feels like you will rushing around and not taking it all in.
If you fly from JNB to VFA, you will be looking at approx. £250 - £375 return with Comair and about 90 minutes flight. Zimbabwe is US dollars, so you'll be looking at $55 for the Zimbabwe visa. Then the taxi to the town which is about 90 minutes. The Vic Falls is about a 20 minute walk from the town if you stay near the bridge end with the fee for Vic Falls I think was $35 and that's per entry. You cant get into the park before sunrise as its gated. (Unless you know someone or somehow to get there). I can only speak from my experience. You don't need to do a tour in the falls itself as its pretty easy to get around unless you want to. I would suggest having a chat with someone like Expert Africa and seeing what they can do for a budget. I've been with them three times, and yes not cheap, but it was hassle and stress free. Worth a try although Zim isn't cheap compared with SA and I'm sure you could get a better deal there. If want any help with the viewpoints at Vic Falls give us a shout.

Hi Paul I would be very interested in View points.
I am hesitant to go with a company as I want to remain somewhat flexible if that Makes sense.
I already have my accommodation booked in Vic Falls.
SA is obviously due to me being at the comp, but Vic Falls is for me while over there as I probably wont be able to afford it again.
I am running a budget whilst not running a budget if that makes sense.
I plan as said while in SA to do a Game drive in pilanesberg and will probably visit the lion sanctuary while in SA
I have seen a few say on internet searches the Chobe day trip may be pointless as will see animals around Vic Falls and on the river cruise etc.

Fortunately for me I have a rough guide for future events so can make plans for years in advance lol.
I.E. next august (2021) im at South Dakota for the shoot so will be touring round the grand canyon area and the waves etc hopefully.
The year after the mrs wants to come but she wont fly so its a long drive to Austria for the comp lol

Back