African Darter

Edit My Images
No
on one of the Wilderness Lakes

(head looks a little soft on here ......... but I could have missed the focus with that bean pole neck!)

D750 + 300mm f4 + 1,4TC

ISO 800
A_Darter_2.jpg

a bit closer and drying

ISO 320 + f8
A_Darter_3.jpg

Last edited:
I like the detail in the second Bill, it's the stronger shot, but the first could be improved by getting rid of the rock on the left and adding a bit more space to the right - this is a bit messy as I wanted to keep your watermark in, but something along these lines maybe.

Mike

billn-darter.jpg

I like the detail in the second Bill, it's the stronger shot, but the first could be improved by getting rid of the rock on the left and adding a bit more space to the right - this is a bit messy as I wanted to keep your watermark in, but something along these lines maybe.

Mike

View attachment 74518

Thanks Mike - I left it there as I thought that it parralled with the angle of the birds neck

I think that the darter, (a snake bird) had just downed a fish

The sharpness of the head looks better on my iMac - I was a little disappointed when I saw it on here

I took quite a few shots hiding in the reeds on a boardwalk at the side of the Lake ....... but even so you cannot get near these birds and because of aircraft weight restrictions and my wife's luggage I can never take my 600mm lens only a 300mm f4 and TC's

Even if I tried to set up a portable hide it would be difficult ....... and it's also a little "out in the wilds" by UK but not SA standards ........ so I get the comment from my wife, "why are you going out there in the middle of no-where, are you sure that it is safe)

But when out in SA we live on a nature reserve and I have asked the guys if we can start putting up a couple of nature hides

Last edited:
I really like the second one Bill.

I don't think I've seen any examples of the 300mm PF coupled with the D500 yet.

Would be an interesting combo

I thought about getting a D500 Wez ......... but I just do not think for my type of shots that you can beat the D810

I used the 300PF quite a lot with the D7200

what I find is that the D810 is more consistent and when cropped to the DX size I preferred it to the D7200 and as you have probably gathered I think that DX does not give you any more reach, It is just an elusion to say so as the DX sensor is just a crop of an FX sensor

I find the noise easy to control on the D810

Last edited:
I thought about getting a D500 Wez ......... but I just do not think for my type of shots that you can beat the D810

I used the 300PF quite a lot with the D7200

what I find is that the D810 is more consistent and when cropped to the DX size I preferred it to the D7200 and as you have probably gathered I think that DX does not give you any more reach, It is just an elusion to say so as the DX sensor is just a crop of an FX sensor

I find the noise easy to control on the D810

Definitely for the static bird shots (that we're both fond of), I'd say the D810 wins hands down.

But the D500 is still really good at them. Overall though, I prefer the D500 (for what I shoot) because of the amazing AF system! :)

Definitely for the static bird shots (that we're both fond of), I'd say the D810 wins hands down.

But the D500 is still really good at them. Overall though, I prefer the D500 (for what I shoot) because of the amazing AF system! :)

As you know I have the D810 and D750

maybe I should try the D500 and get rid of the D750

Back