AI Gigapixel Updated - Now much faster!

Edit My Images
Yes
AI Gigapixel has had a major update with a lot of improvements, the main one which is now the ability to process your images using a choice of either your video card OR your CPU.

https://topazlabs.com/ai-gigapixel/

I can say that using the CPU option REALLY increases the speed on my computer.

I am using a Z600 workstation with 2 Xeon Hex 5660 processors and 48GB RAM and when processing all 24 cores (12 cores, 12 threads) are running.

File manager shows that my CPUs are running about 60% usage but the RAM usage is really low, about 4-5 GB.

I have now bought it using the code "Northlight" for a 15% discount.

Last edited:
I updated and paid yesterday although I haven't yet put the graphics card up against the processor to see which performs the best.....excellent utility whichever way you use it.

I updated and paid yesterday although I haven't yet put the graphics card up against the processor to see which performs the best.....excellent utility whichever way you use it.

Well on my Z600 it is definitely faster to use the CPUs against my 2GB card.

I cut down the processing time as much as possible by cropping my photos first to the dimensions I will roughly want then upscale them.

That way the processing time for each image is much reduced as well.

It still isn't super fast but a huge speed improvement over Version 1, so I'm extremely happy with it, and as you say, an excellent utility.

@petersmart & @Canon Bob

Heads up guys (& gals?)

The newest update to v3.0.3 is available.

I have only done one or two quick (;)) tests and compared to v2.1.1 using CPU processing it is noticeably slower......... but the GUI is IMO nicer/better, though they have added a x0.5 scaling i.e. a downsizing setting!!!

For reasons of making use of GPU processing as well any future newer monitor I am considering getting an nVidia with the 1050Ti chipset and 4GB of DDR ram on-board??? I can't really justify going higher spec because of the cost! :(

Last edited:
I've updated but not tried it yet. I wonder if the 0.5x is a more intelligent pixel binning solution?

I could never get this to work on my pc's and i tried it on 2 of them, so gave up and now use Photozoom pro

I could never get this to work on my pc's and i tried it on 2 of them, so gave up and now use Photozoom pro
It won't run on my laptop but the desktop GPU seems to cope with it okay.

I've never been a photographer of small birds. Big birds which stand still for a long time while I get my gear ready and compose the shot, such as a heron, have been my thing. But a kingfisher has turned up near me and by extraordinary good luck it happened briefly to perch quite near me. I think I've fallen in love!

Since then I've been wandering around with my longest lens and a tripod meeting people who've just met someone who saw it, and practising my kingfisher skills on finches, robins, sparrows, etc.. So I often end up cropping small images of tiny birds out of my photographs. Not enough pixels on the bird!

Would this AI Gigapixel thing help?

It won't run on my laptop but the desktop GPU seems to cope with it okay.

It is very specification & hardware fussy in regard to the graphics card. However the change at v2 meant you could use CPU rather than GPU .......that was the game changer for me but as noted above I may have to upgrade my GPU.

NB of note is that v3.0.3 no longer works on some Mac OS's and as o read it Topaz cannot solve, so those users have to stick with V2.1.1

I've never been a photographer of small birds. Big birds which stand still for a long time while I get my gear ready and compose the shot, such as a heron, have been my thing. But a kingfisher has turned up near me and by extraordinary good luck it happened briefly to perch quite near me. I think I've fallen in love!

Since then I've been wandering around with my longest lens and a tripod meeting people who've just met someone who saw it, and practising my kingfisher skills on finches, robins, sparrows, etc.. So I often end up cropping small images of tiny birds out of my photographs. Not enough pixels on the bird!

IMO, yes ........so assuming your computer meets at least min spec give the trial a go and see what you think of the results. Depending on how much of a crop you are enlarging you may/will find the max limit that suits the crop and the bird(subject).

Like most software, Topaz AI Gigapixel is available as a time restricted trial version.
I would suggest you download it and try it to see if it meets your requirements.
If you decide to buy, you can often find a discount code for 20% off, if you look around.
Personally I think it's an amazing piece of software.

Last edited:
As Brian said it's an amazing piece of software and one of the reasons I decided not to buy the Canon 5D IV since I can now upscale photos even from my 350D and get amazing results.
And it will easily double the "reach" of a good lens or even more - easily giving me the reach of a 600mm lens with my 70-300mm L IS USM lens.
And the new version is even better with a lot of improvements.
Definitely give it a try.
I have a section on Flickr showing what it can do:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20926615@N05/albums/72157700442514594

And you can compare some of them with the originals to see how the reach is increased:
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/20926615@N05/44674131242/in/album-72157700442514594/

And the original:
View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/20926615@N05/5690352735/

Last edited:
Back