Critique Aiguille du Midi

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
For those who know this needs no introduction. For those that don't Aiguille Du Midi is a mountain on the Mont Blanc Massif that sits over 12400ft above sea level and is one of, if not, the highest cable car ride in the world.

The view from here, well it's epic and for someone like me who has no interest in hiking (or indeed skill) etc a good chance to get to the mountains without having to don an Ice Axe, ropes and crampons.

There was some interesting atmospherics once I got to the top.

_DSC2189 - Version 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC2193 (1) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC2194 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC2200 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC2233 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Only been a few times but i've fallen in love with Chamonix. The last image sums up the mountains for me. Clear, crisp and inviting but also dangerous looking! You've bought back some good memories so thanks for sharing.

That last one is fantastic. Have you considered processing any into black and white? Scenes like this take it well and adds to the atmosphere in my opinion.

As the Alps although not the range you went to are within easy reach for me I can understand what you say about the views, as I have been on the supposed highest road in Europe @ 9393 ft or 2863 metres yes its an awesome feeling at that hight and seeing all those peaks is awesome also.
These are really lovely photos and not a reflection in sight :p
3rd shot for me is the best imo as you have some distance seen in the shot and I alsi like that cloud that makes it like fluffy white vignetting.

Do you have the NIK collection? The presets available in "Silver efex pro" are a good starting point for me when I do B&W, it surprises me how much they can be pushed while still looking natural.

Do you have the NIK collection? The presets available in "Silver efex pro" are a good starting point for me when I do B&W, it surprises me how much they can be pushed while still looking natural.

I do but I find them and the presets very prescriptive. I’ll do it manually, perhaps after a few months with fresh eyes. I find b&w easy to do ok but very very hard to do well.

On another forum it was put to me they are slightly washed out and lacking contrast, now I’m happy with them but reprocessing is always fun and in a different mood, frame of mind when the memories aren’t at the front of my mind I may do them differently. I can see why that might be said, I tend to process in a light way and maybe they need pushed more, maybe b&w who knows.

Heres the one I liked best and my rendition of it, I`ll remove if its not liked.
Basically both the same changes, the colour one was just converted to B&W and the sliders left in place mostly with some minor changes.
Mountain range NOT MY PHOTO B&W.jpg Mountain range NOT MY PHOTO.jpg

B&w I’ll think on, the edit is a bit too dark but there’s room in mine for more contrast
It seems that when I "save as" someone else's photo it seems to compress it a bit which always ruins it when reposted back onto TP. Yeah I didn't think you would like my B&W edit, not even I like it but it was just to give it a go and show.
The colour one I gave it some vibrance/saturation, seems to have brought out more colour in it.

Last edited:
really like the last pic not to fussy about the mist and clouds in the others
as you know we can see that anytime up Rannoch moor

Interesting set Steve, I think you did the best with the weather.

We fell across a cable car ride on Lake Garda, you'd like the views from there, just if you're planning other trips ;)
http://www.visitmalcesine.com/en/cablecar-malcesine-monte-baldo-lake-garda/105

I go every year to France, Italy, Spain. I will bear that one in mind. One of the other good ones in Chamonix is the Flegere. I would have gone this time but it was closed. You get a good view to the Mont Blanc Massif.

Can't get enough of that part of the world

_DSC8013 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I've also processed another one again. Not in B&W but with slightly less topaz in the hue.

_DSC2200 (2) by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
I go every year to France, Italy, Spain. I will bear that one in mind. One of the other good ones in Chamonix is the Flegere. I would have gone this time but it was closed. You get a good view to the Mont Blanc Massif.

Can't get enough of that part of the world

Can only say about the East side of Garda as that's all we drove, but the lake and views were stunning. I'm sure you'd do it justice.

Back